Classic Match at Roker - 24 Nov 1984 vs Man Utd

Oh yes.

His classic scythe of an Everton player, lives long in the memory. Better still I’m unsure if he was even carded :lol:

They showed that on BT Sport the other day. Brutal. Howard Kendall was raging at the match officials and Sunderland players as he accompanied the stretcher carrying his player off. Elton Welby said he was out for at least 9 months with fucked up knee ligaments

They showed that on BT Sport the other day. Brutal. Howard Kendall was raging at the match officials and Sunderland players as he accompanied the stretcher carrying his player off. Elton Welby said he was out for at least 9 months with fucked up knee ligaments
Andy king iirc

You get up from Dorset ok but a bunch of students from dirty Leeds uni miss the kick off :lol:

I was stationed down there and would drive back up on weekends when we had home games.

Friday: Leave 4pm, home by midnight/1am depending on how many I was dropping off
Sat: game/night out
Sun: pub before dinner then start picking people up around 10:30pm to get back to camp for around 5am, couple of hours sleep then start work at 8:30am

Happy days!

The Kieron Brady thread got me reminiscing about Frank Worthington, so I tried youtube for any SAFC footage with Frank in, this erroneous result came up but what a cracker that I'd forgotten about. Only saw the highlights on MotD but what a game to miss! Who was there that day?

Full match details from statcat here Sunderland AFC - Statistics, History and Records - from TheStatCat

Dunno how many times this game has been subject of a thread, but I never tire of seeing it.
Was there, and 1st half was pure magic.
2nd half not so good, but overall a topper day.
Yet again, "fiercesome" Man Utd came to RP with far fewer numbers than we took there :lol:

Just cause your a great poster marra

Aaah George Taylor... MLF.

Last edited by a moderator:
That Man Utd game was crazy.
2-0 down to 3-2 up and all five goals in the first half, two players sent off, two Sunderland penalties scored, and a Clive Walker hat trick.
I was in the Roker, right next to the Man Utd fans and took a Man Utd fan to the match that day.
He still mentions the game every now and then, and reckons it's one of the best games he's been to, for the incident packed first half alone.

This Man U game and the 1990 one, the Chelsea 92 cup game and the 1980 promotion match against West Ham my top RP games I was actually at.
Same here.
I was in the Fulwell for West Ham promotion game in 1980.
I was in the Roker for the 3-2 Man Utd game.
I was in the Mainstand Roker Wing Seats, for Man Utd 1990 and the Chelsea cup game in 1992.

Class, Hank, la. I was there. Loved Big Frankie Worthington. I used to watch him warming up. His regime was mainly belching.
Wee Stan, la. Rowell was nee giant either. I loved Jimmy Nicholl anarl.
Pat Jennings: possibly the deepest voice in football.

Dinnar how Keith Hackett didn't send Bob Dylan off, like. Totally forgot that they had Lee Chapman.

Just been down intiv our kitchen & had a mug of Bovril & three cream crackers, for owld times' sake. Haven't had a Bovril in years. Class.

had a drink with him in Bourbon St. during a random night in the early 90's, it may have been a 'Fat Tuesday':lol:

and aye was at the match in the mainstand paddocks near the dugout and I remember it was the best atmosphere I'd seen at Roker at that time (I was 13)

had a drink with him in Bourbon St. during a random night in the early 90's, it may have been a 'Fat Tuesday':lol:

and aye was at the match in the mainstand paddocks near the dugout and I remember it was the best atmosphere I'd seen at Roker at that time (I was 13)
Class. I met him and his bird on the Sunderland/Newcastle train in about 1983 or 1984. Both wore leather biker jackets with git padded showldas, his black, hers red (or was it the other way around? Memory plays tricks!). Got chatting to him about football, about his goal v Bolton then got him to sign a book I had just bought. It was a book on Impressionist Art (which I've still got), which, somehow, seemed strangely appropriate. I remember he had quite a gruff voice & a proper Yorkshire accent. His bird (a real blonde dolly bird) completely ignored us & just sat smoking, looking out the window.

The Kieron Brady thread got me reminiscing about Frank Worthington, so I tried youtube for any SAFC footage with Frank in, this erroneous result came up but what a cracker that I'd forgotten about. Only saw the highlights on MotD but what a game to miss! Who was there that day?

Full match details from statcat here Sunderland AFC - Statistics, History and Records - from TheStatCat

Classic, Chris Turner in those shorts man ! would be underpants these days.

We played Spurs at home in the 4th round in the same week as the Man Utd game, surprisingly there was a bigger attendance for the Spurs game.

Supporters preferred the cup games in those days, a gate could easily double from a league game one week to a cup game a few days later

Last edited:
Classic, Chris Turner in those shorts man ! would be underpants these days.

Supporters preferred the cup games in those days, a gate could easily double from a league game one week to a cup game a few days later
Still surprising, given the cup game was midweek and Man Utd had a decent following.

We were in that corner of the Roker amidst the absolute ructions, between the floodlight and the main stand.

Love how dark the stands are late in the second half, last season or maybe it was actually the season before when there was a lights failure in the Stands at the SOL it gave me a massive rush and powerful flashback to Roker Park, pity everything is lit up like a Christmas tree now for TV and safety etc.

Funny seeing someone in the paddock in the kappa ski coat which were "in" at the time. Few small flags too, what stage were we at in the Milk Cup when this was played?

Do any of our younger smb'ers who didn't get to experience RP enjoy watching these old match highlights?

Aye, always enjoy watching highlights from the Roker days.

Back