1. The forums are temporarily closed for new registrations
    We expect to re-open for new users towards the end of July.
    Dismiss Notice

Classic Match at Roker - 24 Nov 1984 vs Man Utd

Discussion in 'Pure Football' started by samsy, Jul 13, 2019.

1. samsy

samsy Central Defender

The Kieron Brady thread got me reminiscing about Frank Worthington, so I tried youtube for any SAFC footage with Frank in, this erroneous result came up but what a cracker that I'd forgotten about. Only saw the highlights on MotD but what a game to miss! Who was there that day?

Full match details from statcat here Sunderland AFC - Statistics, History and Records - from TheStatCat

Blythmakam, MackemX, andyj73 and 10 others like this.
  2. Sam Handwich

Sam Handwich Winger

Me. Cracking day out. Seem to remember it was quite a warm day

3. In the Fulwell End, in my top 3 of all time favourite Roker Park games this one.

4. Best 45 mins I saw at Roker .The big corner of the Roker End was the place to be .Mental.

Tokyo Optician likes this.
  5. Worthington was long gone by this time

Geronimo likes this.
  6. Cheesy Feet

Cheesy Feet Striker

Best reception I ever saw the lads get at half time at Roker Park..from being 2-0 down inside 15 minutes to fight back to 3-2 at half time..tremendous.

7. garyswc

garyswc Striker

We were in that corner of the Roker amidst the absolute ructions, between the floodlight and the main stand.

Love how dark the stands are late in the second half, last season or maybe it was actually the season before when there was a lights failure in the Stands at the SOL it gave me a massive rush and powerful flashback to Roker Park, pity everything is lit up like a Christmas tree now for TV and safety etc.

Funny seeing someone in the paddock in the kappa ski coat which were "in" at the time. Few small flags too, what stage were we at in the Milk Cup when this was played?

Do any of our younger smb'ers who didn't get to experience RP enjoy watching these old match highlights?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Burnopfield Mackem likes this.
  8. Sunderland v Arsenal 3-0 win

Rowell hat trick. Despite that, imo this was frank worthingtons best game for SAFC
    Ha'way Back When: Sunderland star Gary Rowell's first ever Roker Park hat-trick leaves Arsenal in the cold

I’ve seen footage, which maybe on the centenary video of this game

I do.

Described as mild hysteria by Barry Davies :lol:

9. garyswc

garyswc Striker

10. marathon9

marathon9 Goalkeeper

Bt sport is good for old classics...old moTD.. THE BIG MATCH.. SUNDAY DINNER.. N FOOTY.. HOW DO YOU TURN CAP LOCK OFF... .. Worry I got iT.. Oh SHIT...

hank williams likes this.
  11. tooliohelmet

tooliohelmet Midfield

One of the first games I can remember going to.....would have just turned 10. Remember booing mark Hughes, still do it now the Welsh ****

East Durham likes this.
  12. 48 plus vat

I was lucky to be at this game, only because I was suspended from playing :lol:

I can close my eyes and still see Roker park both packed and during reserve games.

garyswc and hank williams like this.
  13. garyswc

garyswc Striker

I've yet to see an entire team be such a bunch of cheating bastards as Blackburn at the SOL managed by that Welsh prick

Ye dafty

14. It’s an old story but worth retelling

When the ESPN classic channel existed, this game was due to be on. It was a repeat of a MOTD with oxford v Leeds, 5-2 to Oxford

However for some reason, they showed the Oxford game twice. Then the SMB got to work and found an email address for espn

I and others sent emails, which resulted in ESPN sending a free dvd copy of this match

Happy days

15. hank williams

hank williams Striker

16. marathon9

marathon9 Goalkeeper

You very angry...

17. You are the man Hank lad.

Worthington mesmerised Arsenal this day. Only 12000 odd there. I was in the main stand paddocks, in a red lagoon, near the SAFC home dugout :lol:

18. redgauntlet

redgauntlet Striker

January 1961, my first FA Cup tie, 3rd round Sunderland v’s Arsenal. Crowed c57,000. Half time Sunderland 0 -Arsenal 1. Stan Anderson scored two crackers, one with his feet from 20 yards (with the old heavy, leather ball) and one with his head from a Harry Hooper cross. Final score Sunderland 2 - Arsenal 1. There was better to come that season, we hadn’t been beaten for months. It was the Roker Roar, a mighty roar, heard for miles around, that did it. Now the nancies sit there singing like castrati.

19. marathon9

marathon9 Goalkeeper

Brian Moore... .had a bobby Charlton hair cut...

Dickie Davis... Tried to say cup soccer... Said cock sucker.... World of sport.... Classic...

20. ftm1971

ftm1971 Winger

Me first match :cool: