Classic albums you just don't "get"

some people just dont thrive in that environment. Nowadays you have the music apps themselves recommending stuff but also websites and forums where people chat about stuff and offer up suggestions. It's great!
They recommend stuff based on your previous activity, how often do you see someone like Jazzmeia Horn recommended time you?
You might like her stuff but never get the chance to find her. Her album covers are great, the sort of thing I’d have picked up in a record store just out of interest.

Genesis -- Selling England By the Pound. The folkier parts make me want to listen to Pentangle, every other part makes me want to switch it off.
Captain Beefheart. Trout Mask Replica

That's an album that's been destroyed by the intellectual culture around it. I liked it as a kind of freak-rock curio years ago but I've no real desire to listen to it again any time soon.
Kind Of Blue doesn’t work at all for me neither.

Kind of Blue is probably the best album that's been mentioned on this thread. Just my opinion like.

Last edited:
I've never been able to get in to Let England Shake by PJ Harvey. There's a couple of half decent songs on and that's about it imo. And I like PJ Harvey

Kind of Blue is probably the best album that's been mentioned on this thread. Just my opinion like.
[/QUOTE]
I take the piss out out of my mate for pretending to like it in order to appear cool :lol:
Just joshing of course.

Some of this stuff sounds too much like homework, having to work at liking a record. Why do that to yourself? Because somebody else likes it? If it sounds shit it’s shit.

Some of this stuff sounds too much like homework, having to work at liking a record. Why do that to yourself? Because somebody else likes it? If it sounds shit it’s shit.

Because some albums come up on the rails in the same way certain songs do (hence you often find the instant songs, usually the singles, aren't the best).

You also change as you age. Once upon a time I couldn't understand the hype behind Joy Division. Now I can't stop playing them.

A band often puts years of work into a record. Be daft to judge it in a couple of hours.

Last edited:

Back