Classic albums you just don't "get"

Odd the number of people mentioning Dark Side of the Moon and Rumours. I listened to DSotM recently for the first time in years and I was blown away all over again by its sheer perfection. Rumours may be AOR, but its possibly the greatest record of that genre - every song is either good or great.
I love rock, but one band that leaves me completely cold is Bon Jovi.

Odd the number of people mentioning Dark Side of the Moon and Rumours. I listened to DSotM recently for the first time in years and I was blown away all over again by its sheer perfection. Rumours may be AOR, but its possibly the greatest record of that genre - every song is either good or great.
I love rock, but one band that leaves me completely cold is Bon Jovi.

Tin hat on but Rumours suffers from too much Christine McVie and not enough Buckingham and Nicks tracks. They were out of their minds leaving Silver Springs off the original release.

Tin hat on but Rumours suffers from too much Christine McVie and not enough Buckingham and Nicks tracks. They were out of their minds leaving Silver Springs off the original release.

Glad you're wearing a tin hat. I always preferred Christine McVie over Nicks or Buckingham - both in songwriting and voice.

Glad you're wearing a tin hat. I always preferred Christine McVie over Nicks or Buckingham - both in songwriting and voice.

Each to their own but Nicks vocal was tremendous IMO. Much prefer that style of singing/type of voice.
I listened to DSotM recently for the first time in years and I was blown away all over again by its sheer perfection.

This. Must be through headphones for full appreciation.

Things move on. The experience you describe above is a cherished memory you have from your younger days. The generation before you would tell you it was shit though and complain you didn't get the pleasure of only hearing music socially in a diner or somewhere (I need to stop using Happy Days as my analogies)

Youngsters these days are more than happy with how they consume music. In fact all the downloading has lead to more of a focus on live music. People are hearing bands play live now much than they have for years.
Are they actually hearing bands play live, or are they hearing "doctored" live performances

Are they actually hearing bands play live, or are they hearing "doctored" live performances

We'll never know.I was always amazed how none of the bands could play anything live.Stones,Who,Zeppelin et al.Absolute rubbish.

I think it was just a case of " I have seen my tin gods live,how lucky am I"

Put me off live music for years.I think a band from Sunderland could put on a better live act than any of them,Showbiz kids,played everything perfect around mid 1970s

The only bands then that were good live were petty much Floyd,10cc and strangely Uriah Heep.

Got back into live music in the 1980s.Joe Jackson was stunning live.Pretenders live in LA from around 2001 is magic.

See if the guy out of the Eagles is on you tube,the drummer I think.The one that did boys of summer.

A slightly different arrangement of Hotel California,played on brass,brilliant.

Townshend did the same for Won't get fooled again on a live video from the 80 s( Deep End? )/

Gilmour on lead guitar and the video finishes with Give Blood from White City.WOW.
We'll never know.I was always amazed how none of the bands could play anything live.Stones,Who,Zeppelin et al.Absolute rubbish.

I think it was just a case of " I have seen my tin gods live,how lucky am I"

Put me off live music for years.I think a band from Sunderland could put on a better live act than any of them,Showbiz kids,played everything perfect around mid 1970s

The only bands then that were good live were petty much Floyd,10cc and strangely Uriah Heep.

Got back into live music in the 1980s.Joe Jackson was stunning live.Pretenders live in LA from around 2001 is magic.

See if the guy out of the Eagles is on you tube,the drummer I think.The one that did boys of summer.

A slightly different arrangement of Hotel California,played on brass,brilliant.

Townshend did the same for Won't get fooled again on a live video from the 80 s( Deep End? )/

Gilmour on lead guitar and the video finishes with Give Blood from White City.WOW.
Kick Horns on brass for Won't get fooled again.Always liked a bit of live brass or violin in rock music.
Don Henley for the eages track.The name just came back to me.
Live,inside job,for the Don Henley DVD.

Last edited:

Back