Class Pre-Season memories

First one v St Mirren ,sailed from Liverpool Isle of man steam packet company.Burnley ,St Mirren and Isle of Man select the yr after got pulled over as I got off the boat from Heysham by the police on suspicion of being a suspected Irish terrorist.Kept in custody for an hr while they did a full check on back ground,They checked which hotel I was staying in,got my gaffer out of bed to go and verify my last shift that I worked also sent someone round to my neighbours to check I was genuine.I told the officials that had I been a Irish terrorist I'd have got off the boat from Dublin not Heysham.
You are going have to change your name from Gerry Adams.

Ayr Utd back in the 70's. Hitch hiked there with a lad called Bob Ethridge, better known as Eccles (@Vauxie will remember him) sadly no longer with us. We had about a tenner between us and that was only because I rifled my mam's phone box and Bob sold his dad's watch :lol:. For reasons unbeknown to me we went via Edinburgh and Glasgow and it took us best part of two days, including a ride on a hay laden tractor. We got there in time though and blagged a lift on the supporters coach coming back. Happy days.

Edit.. August 4th 1971 we drew 1-1 7k attendance.
absolutely brilliant. I hitch hiked all over the country following us early 80s willmpost 1 day

absolutely brilliant. I hitch hiked all over the country following us early 80s willmpost

First one v St Mirren ,sailed from Liverpool Isle of man steam packet company.Burnley ,St Mirren and Isle of Man select the yr after got pulled over as I got off the boat from Heysham by the police on suspicion of being a suspected Irish terrorist.Kept in custody for an hr while they did a full check on back ground,They checked which hotel I was staying in,got my gaffer out of bed to go and verify my last shift that I worked also sent someone round to my neighbours to check I was genuine.I told the officials that had I been a Irish terrorist I'd have got off the boat from Dublin not Heysham.
Went to the first one in 1982, sailed from Heysham, players were on the ferry as well, playing roulette. Got a photograph somewhere, taken with Durban and Mick Docherty.

Went to the first one in 1982, sailed from Heysham, players were on the ferry as well, playing roulette. Got a photograph somewhere, taken with Durban and Mick Docherty.
Loads of Burnley supporters on our ferry from Heysham. We stayed in the Villiars Hotel same as the teams.

As previously mentioned Hannover.. 5or 6 yrs ago..
Did Friday night in Bremen.. with my oldest lad .. train to Hannover Saturday..
geet sunny day straight into beer garden on German Wheat beer .where bumped into good few Shields/Whitburn lads..
match .. then walked straight into a food/ beer festival .
Sat night in Hannover 🍺

Loads of Burnley supporters on our ferry from Heysham. We stayed in the Villiars Hotel same as the teams.
Remember a pint in Douglas been as cheap as chips, something like 27p a pint, when back home it was 35-40p. The first time I had drank Okells beers, it was real ale but I was none the wiser, being a Whitbread Trophy/Scotch drinking moron from East Durham. ;)

Remember a pint in Douglas been as cheap as chips, something like 27p a pint, when back home it was 35-40p. The first time I had drank Okells beers, it was real ale but I was none the wiser, being a Whitbread Trophy/Scotch drinking moron from East Durham. ;)
Caught one of them little trains to Castleton to visit Okells brewery .Think it was all day opening then long before it started over here.

Back