Clamped

That’s what I’m doing with the surety.
Ah rite, so in that case if my sums are right you will have to pay £260 today and you will get £160 back as long as the car is taxed within 15 days. Im not trying to make your day any worse but you will also get a fine in the post soon off dvla for the offence of keeping a vehicle on the public road without tax, or summit like that anyway. The wife tells me a dvla letter landed on the doormat this morning for me, probably to do with my clamping incident a couple of weeks ago. I work away from home so i will report back on friday and let you know how much they are stinging me for. 😡😡😡😡😡
Spot on but I’m not sure if they checked when I rang to pay the clamp release or just took my word for it when she asked if it was now taxed
I also got done a few years back and i had to take the actual tax disc to the pound when i went to pay my £200 to get the car back. Im not sure what they do now that there are no physical tax discs.

Last edited:

Just been clamped for no road tax and turns out the car hasn’t been MOT’d since June! Forgot you didn’t receive reminders anymore. Bollocks. Lucky escape I guess, considering the insurance would be invalidated.
Unless things have changed it’s an urban myth that your car insurance automatically becomes invalid if you don’t pay the road fund licence. Your insurance becomes invalid once your insurance company invalidates it.
It’s one of the few things I remember from studying for the sergeant exams. Although that was in 2004 when I did it.

In no way can I tax the car without getting it MOT’d so in that case the car’s theirs then :lol:

You can drive it to the garage if you have an MOT booked in and you’re going purely for that purpose. What I was told anyways.

You can drive it to the garage if you have an MOT booked in and you’re going purely for that purpose. What I was told anyways.
Yeah your right but the problem the op has is that he has a dvla clamp stuck on his motor that can only be taken off if he gets it taxed or pays the extra £160 surety.

I would check this mind. The way i understood it is pay £100 within 24hrs of being clamped to have the clamp removed but you must show evidence that you have taxed it. After 24hrs they will come and take your car to a pound then it will cost you £200 again you will only get it back after showing evidence of tax. They will also charge you £21 for every day its in the pound.

If you have it booked in for an MOT you. An drive an untaxed car to the garage on public roads.

I checked it out before I put a SORN on one of my cars
Yeah your right but the problem the op has is that he has a dvla clamp stuck on his motor that can only be taken off if he gets it taxed or pays the extra £160 surety.
He has 24 hours to move it to private land

Nor he doesn't like.
He’s right, I was told the same thing when I rang them. 24hrs to get the car to the MOT garage or on to private land.
Unless things have changed it’s an urban myth that your car insurance automatically becomes invalid if you don’t pay the road fund licence. Your insurance becomes invalid once your insurance company invalidates it.
It’s one of the few things I remember from studying for the sergeant exams. Although that was in 2004 when I did it.
That was more in reference to not being MOT’d rather than taxed.

Happened to me when the clutch went on the wife's car last year. AA bloke checked it and 10 months no MOT :oops: He was sound about it like as it invalidated the cover but he did something or other to sort it and got it to a garage for a fix and MOT.

He’s right, I was told the same thing when I rang them. 24hrs to get the car to the MOT garage or on to private land.

That was more in reference to not being MOT’d rather than taxed.
I think i know where we are getting mixed up here. Once the clamp is released you have 24 hours to get the car moved off the road or you run the risk of being clamped again. However you still have to pay the £100 clamp removal fee and the £160 surety fee. Its not just a case of ringing them up and getting the clamp off for nowt because you promise to put it on private land within 24 hours. Thats what i thought you were meaning. Any news anyway ? Have you had it removed ?
Save yourself some money paying tax, mot etc and just buy yourself an angle grinder.
You took the words out of my mouth 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I think i know where we are getting mixed up here. Once the clamp is released you have 24 hours to get the car moved off the road or you run the risk of being clamped again. However you still have to pay the £100 clamp removal fee and the £160 surety fee. Its not just a case of ringing them up and getting the clamp off for nowt because you promise to put it on private land within 24 hours. Thats what i thought you were meaning. Any news anyway ? Have you had it removed ?

You took the words out of my mouth 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Yeah that’s right, just a misunderstanding.

Haven’t had a chance to check as I’m coming back from work on the train so I f***ing hope so!

Just been clamped for no road tax and turns out the car hasn’t been MOT’d since June! Forgot you didn’t receive reminders anymore. Bollocks. Lucky escape I guess, considering the insurance would be invalidated.
Just drove past a car in Grindon with a DVLA clamp on it. Wasn't yours was it?

Back