Clamped

LondonMackem

Striker
Just been clamped for no road tax and turns out the car hasn’t been MOT’d since June! Forgot you didn’t receive reminders anymore. Bollocks. Lucky escape I guess, considering the insurance would be invalidated.

Just been clamped for no road tax and turns out the car hasn’t been MOT’d since June! Forgot you didn’t receive reminders anymore. Bollocks. Lucky escape I guess, considering the insurance would be invalidated.

i've done the same, going to tax the car and had no mot for months.
you can sign up to get reminders.

So what you going to do about the clamp ?? Same happened to me 2 weeks ago except it was a car im not using. It was sorned but parked in back lane as i dont have a drive.

Sorry, that was nasty.

At least you got caught before you’re unroadworthy car caused an accident and you’re invalidated insurance never paid out.
:lol:
just pay by direct debit & forget about it, that's what i do with the cars & bike
I do, but because the MOT expired the tax did too. I didn’t notice the DD had stopped.
So what you going to do about the clamp ?? Same happened to me 2 weeks ago except it was a car im not using. It was sorned but parked in back lane as i dont have a drive.
If I pay it in the morning whilst at work they’ll come and take it off during the day.

Last edited:
:lol:

I do, but because the MOT expired the tax did too. I didn’t notice the DD had stopped.

If I pay it in the morning whilst at work they’ll come and take it off during the day.
This is a bit of a conundrum now.

Your tax has ran out because you’ve got no MOT. It’ll not allow you to tax it without an MOT. You can’t take the car to the garage to get it MOT’d as it’s clamped. 🤷‍♂️

I thought you could only get the clamp released once you had taxed the car ?
They give you 24hrs grace once clamped removes to get the car off the road on to private property, or to an MOT garage. At least that’s what the bloke told me on the phone.
This is a bit of a conundrum now.

Your tax has ran out because you’ve got no MOT. It’ll not allow you to tax it without an MOT. You can’t take the car to the garage to get it MOT’d as it’s clamped. 🤷‍♂️
See above

My mam left her car here to go on a national holiday thingy on Monday - was clamped overnight and turns out she’s had no tax since Aug 2018. Right chew on to get sorted as it turned out the car was still registered to Bristol Street Motors who hadn’t sent the DVLA her details so she hadn’t had any reminders or owt. £100 clamp and £145 for a years insurance , she’s actually paid out less than she would’ve done taxing it

They give you 24hrs grace once clamped removes to get the car off the road on to private property, or to an MOT garage. At least that’s what the bloke told me on the phone.

See above
I would check this mind. The way i understood it is pay £100 within 24hrs of being clamped to have the clamp removed but you must show evidence that you have taxed it. After 24hrs they will come and take your car to a pound then it will cost you £200 again you will only get it back after showing evidence of tax. They will also charge you £21 for every day its in the pound.

I would check this mind. The way i understood it is pay £100 within 24hrs of being clamped to have the clamp removed but you must show evidence that you have taxed it. After 24hrs they will come and take your car to a pound then it will cost you £200 again you will only get it back after showing evidence of tax. They will also charge you £21 for every day its in the pound.
In no way can I tax the car without getting it MOT’d so in that case the car’s theirs then :lol:

In no way can I tax the car without getting it MOT’d so in that case the car’s theirs then :lol:
Apparently you can pay a £160 surety if you cant tax it, thats obviously on top of the £100 for the clamp off or £200 for getting the car out of the pound. You then have 15 days to get it mot'd then tax it then you get your £160 surety back. Or you could do what i did 2 weeks ago. 🤣

Spot on but I’m not sure if they checked when I rang to pay the clamp release or just took my word for it when she asked if it was now taxed

Last edited:
Apparently you can pay a £160 surety if you cant tax it, thats obviously on top of the £100 for the clamp off or £200 for getting the car out of the pound. You then have 15 days to get it mot'd then tax it then you get your £160 surety back. Or you could do what i did 2 weeks ago. 🤣
That’s what I’m doing with the surety.

Back