Claiming on fully comp insurance

Car insurance: When it’s a third party at fault.

If you’re claiming for non-repair costs such as child car seats, do your insurance reimburse you costs and then claim it back from the third party or do they wait to get it from the third party before you get it?

I’m £400 out for two car seats for six months and the insurance company are saying the (foreign) third party insurance company aren’t responding to their chasers. I’m not really sure what I’m paying insurance for tbh.

If you’re claiming for non-repair costs such as child car seats, do your insurance reimburse you costs and then claim it back from the third party or do they wait to get it from the third party before you get it?

I’m £400 out for two car seats for six months and the insurance company are saying the (foreign) third party insurance company aren’t responding to their chasers. I’m not really sure what I’m paying insurance for tbh.
I csnt answer re the car seats but it took an absolute age to get the payment back from the French insurance company when we got crashed into. Was a total nightmare. I had to pay the upfront repairs and send the invoice via my insurance company to hers.

I csnt answer re the car seats but it took an absolute age to get the payment back from the French insurance company when we got crashed into. Was a total nightmare. I had to pay the upfront repairs and send the invoice via my insurance company to hers.
The car has been repaired, thankfully we didn’t have to pay for that, but it’s just the car seat costs now. Sounds like we’ve been lucky!

The car has been repaired, thankfully we didn’t have to pay for that, but it’s just the car seat costs now. Sounds like we’ve been lucky!
Anything other than the car repair itself would go through your legal cover along with personal injury etc. rather than the insurance and will take a lot longer to recover that and may involve a court appearance.

Have you tried your home insurance? (possessions outside the home), or perhaps your travel insurance (in France).

When we were robbed (from the car), we had to use both travel insurance and home insurance. Car insurance were not interested in anything in the car.

Anything other than the car repair itself would go through your legal cover along with personal injury etc. rather than the insurance and will take a lot longer to recover that and may involve a court appearance.
Really? Last time it was our (his) fault we claimed through our own insurance.
Have you tried your home insurance? (possessions outside the home), or perhaps your travel insurance (in France).

When we were robbed (from the car), we had to use both travel insurance and home insurance. Car insurance were not interested in anything in the car.
We weren’t travelling, the person who crashed into us was a Romanian Lorry driver.

Really? Last time it was our (his) fault we claimed through our own insurance.

We weren’t travelling, the person who crashed into us was a Romanian Lorry driver.
Sure there’ll be people more clued up than me but sure that’s why you take motor legal protection.

Excess is the same, needs to be claimed back via the third parties insurance if you’ve had to pay any and is all part of the compo claim.

Glad you and the family are ok though. Absolute menace these so called foreign professional drivers.

Last edited:

I've been waiting since January to get my excess back from Churchill after someone ran into me in a car park. When I ask what's happening they just say the other insurance company haven't responded to them. Whole thing is a joke.

Sure there’ll be people more clued up than me but sure that’s why you take motor legal protection.

Excess is the same, needs to be claimed back via the third parties insurance if you’ve had to pay any and is all part of the compo claim.

Glad you and the family are ok though. Absolute menace these so called foreign professional drivers.
Just to follow up - when you say “motor legal protection” what do you mean?

It’s a company car so all insurance is through them.

Motor legal is to cover you if hit (none fault) by another driver who isn’t insured

Fully comp will cover you when hit by non insured third party even if not identified.
Motor legal as far as i was aware is should there then be a civil claim for things such as injuries there is legal cover to represent you for civil court should it get there and the process running up to it

This is what legal cover is according to Compare The Market

What is motor legal protection?​

Motor legal protection – sometimes known as car insurance legal cover – can cover legal expenses, up to an agreed limit, which result from a car accident that wasn’t your fault. It’s usually offered as an optional add-on to car insurance policies, although some include it as standard.

With the right motor legal protection, you’ll be able to make a claim against or protect yourself against a claim from another driver without having to worry about the cost.

It will cost you extra to add motor legal protection to your policy, but if you end up in court it could save you a lot more in legal costs.

We are still waiting to get the costs of car seats (£400) back from the insurance company. A year after the original accident.

We’re basically getting nowhere despite this being escalated “up the line”. No one has told us it’s not covered, or that we need motor legal protection. I have no idea if we even have motor legal protection because it’s a company car and the insurance just came with the car. We couldn’t select anything extra.

That sounds like it’s for legal costs. I don’t have any legal costs, I just want the costs of the car seats that were rendered unusable in the accident to be reimbursed.

Back