Claiming against a landlord

safcforever

Striker
I a case against my previous landlord and won. All I got was my deposit back and the interest.
Nothing else happened to him.

Why wouldn’t every landlord withhold the deposit every time? Hoping some either give up or something might just go their way.
There’s nothing to lose basically.

I’ve had to jump through hoops and gather all the evidence to build a case. He just turned up, agreed he was wrong and paid me.
It’s f***ing shit like

I a case against my previous landlord and won. All I got was my deposit back and the interest.

Why wouldn’t every landlord withhold the deposit every time? Hoping some either give up or something might just go their way.

I’ve had to jump through hoops and gather all the evidence to build a case. He just turned up, agreed he was wrong and paid me.
It’s f***ing shit like
What’s the alternative? Not a dig mate just thinking aloud.

What’s the alternative? Not a dig mate just thinking aloud.
Should have to register, and be a point system. Say he’s lost this he should be on -3 so everyone can see what he’s like as a landlord.

Either that or I should be entitled to extra compensation for all the fuckarage.

Yeah my last ones took the piss with their claims. Meant I had to spend a huge amount of time gathering evidence and putting together a report to support my 'defence'. Took me a few months to even get the undisputed part of my deposit back, so that was time when £1600 of my money was withheld from me - good job I had enough buffer to allow me to move and what not. For many there would be financial pressure to cave - they know this and so it's a strategy.

Beggars belief that the landlord themselves used to hold the deposit!

To be honest. I have no idea but it’s a shitty system and is easy to take advantage of

Yeah my last ones took the piss with their claims. Meant I had to spend a huge amount of time gathering evidence and putting together a report to support my 'defence'. Took me a few months to even get the undisputed part of my deposit back, so that was time when £1600 of my money was withheld from me - good job I had enough buffer to allow me to move and what not. For many there would be financial pressure to cave - they know this and so it's a strategy.

Beggars belief that the landlord themselves used to hold the deposit!
Exactly. Like I said I bet some give up because they aren’t smart enough/haven’t got the time. It’s an unfair system that’s easily abused. It seems to be in favour of the landlord

Last edited:
Prior to this system you'd have had to take him to small claims court. So it's still an improvement.
Certainly is, but there's still room for better legislation.

For me I think there should be a mandatory inspection a couple of months ahead of checkout where any issue could be raised and addressed to avoid punitive charges for trivial things. Would also allow any disputes to be begun then, to avoid long lag times between leaving and return of deposit. There should also be defined timeframes on raising and responding to disputes that both parties are expected to adhere to - failure to comply would require justification and, if none, some form of penalty. For me, the fuckers really did take their sweet time, which was nothing less than a strategy.

My ex-landlord put in a Council Tax claim in my name at an address I've never lived at, had the CT paid for over a year before the council wrote me a letter/bill. I had to go to court and "prove" I'd never lived there.

He got away without even a slap on the wrists.

It’s f***ing shit like
Where did this case take place? I ask as disputes with the tenancy deposit scheme arbitrators are normally dealt with on the papers. If you brought a claim in the county court because he failed to protect the deposit you could have claimed the return of your deposit plus compensation of between one and three times it’s value. If you stayed beyond your fixed term or signed renewal agreements you could have had multiple compensation claims.

I'm having trouble getting mine back. The estate agents went into my old house without my knowledge and done a check out report. I hadn't moved everything out my house by then and they've taken pictures of my things as a negative. I've left the house in perfectly good condition and want my money back asap as I'm relying on it to pay things back but they're ignoring my emails.

I'm having trouble getting mine back. The estate agents went into my old house without my knowledge and done a check out report. I hadn't moved everything out my house by then and they've taken pictures of my things as a negative. I've left the house in perfectly good condition and want my money back asap as I'm relying on it to pay things back but they're ignoring my emails.
Did they do the check out report on the final day of your tenancy or before that?

Where did this case take place? I ask as disputes with the tenancy deposit scheme arbitrators are normally dealt with on the papers. If you brought a claim in the county court because he failed to protect the deposit you could have claimed the return of your deposit plus compensation of between one and three times it’s value. If you stayed beyond your fixed term or signed renewal agreements you could have had multiple compensation claims.
In Canada mate. There’s no requirement to use a deposit scheme. It’s just a shame that he can freely do that every time and hope some people just give up. Not to mention the threats over text message to try and intimidate me (it was only gonna make me more determined)

My ex-landlord put in a Council Tax claim in my name at an address I've never lived at, had the CT paid for over a year before the council wrote me a letter/bill. I had to go to court and "prove" I'd never lived there.

He got away without even a slap on the wrists.
This is what fucks me off. It is a no risk con for them.
What’s stopping them doing it every time?
Like I said, I had to get all the evidence and and send all the letters/emails (I know it doesn’t sound like much) to just get what I was entitled to anyway.

The only solution is to trash the house before leaving
The best bit was he locked me out with 3 days left in the contract. So when he complained about the fact I never cleaned it I told them I had all the intentions of it but he refused access. That sealed the case in my favour, as there was no option to make a claim against me
I am also going through a small claims to get the rent back for them days he refused me access

Last edited:
Did they do the check out report on the final day of your tenancy or before that?

On the day of moving out. Must have been first thing as I'd moved everything out by 11am then went through to Durham to hand the keys in. I've had no communication off them since I said I wanted to move out. I came back from work a few weeks ago to 3 people having a house viewing without any knowledge it was taking place.

Going on 10 days since I've heard anything from them. I'm going through in person on Saturday if I've heard nowt. Estate agents are lovely until you sign a contract then they turn into arseholes.

Back