Civilians killed in coalition bombing

Status
Not open for further replies.

A school got bombed in Syria by the US led coalition and over 30 died the same day as the London attacks and there wasn't a whisper.

Bores the arse off me all this #PrayForLondon shite when people aren't aware of what's happening elsewhere in the world.

war is shit

A school got bombed in Syria by the US led coalition and over 30 died the same day as the London attacks and there wasn't a whisper.

Bores the arse off me all this #PrayForLondon shite when people aren't aware of what's happening elsewhere in the world.

one was in war one was on the streets of city going about its daily business

People get killed all the time the world over and of course, that's dreadful. However, I and most people prioritise those innocent people being murdered on our own streets rather than in a far flung warzone. This is normal.

The fact you think otherwise raises questions about your allegiances and sympathies. I would like to think I'm wrong but you sound like another one of those people who will jump at any opportunity to criticise and condemn America and the West and will take sides with anyone fighting against us, whether that be rightly or wrongly.

People get killed all the time the world over and of course, that's dreadful. However, I and most people prioritise those innocent people being murdered on our own streets rather than in a far flung warzone. This is normal.

The fact you think otherwise raises questions about your allegiances and sympathies. I would like to think I'm wrong but you sound like another one of those people who will jump at any opportunity to criticise and condemn America and the West and will take sides with anyone fighting against us, whether that be rightly or wrongly.
I just think we shouldnt get involved on other peoples business. That goes for the east and west.
We exasperated the problems in iraq not solved them. Russia probably did the same in syria, we probably covertly have in syria.

I am mortified by the Westminster attack and it is a simple and obvious fact that Islamic fundamentalists are at war with us.
Recognising that fact doesn't alter the fact that we have made a business (literally) out of arming middle eastern countries and then going in and bombing the shit out of them for spurious reasons. Every attack we carry out just enrages them even more. If you were a relative of one of the 237 civilians killed in Mosul this week what would your attitude to the west be ?

Anyway thia should probably get moved to political thread i didnt realise there was one

There's an unspoken understanding that as long as no white people were killed then it doesn't matter.
As above, it's natural to pay a far greater interest and express far greater concern when an atrocity occurs on streets where you, your family and children or friends could easily be walking down or in a city or place you could quite easily be visiting on holiday with loved ones.

I don't know about you, and not to be trite, but personally I don't know anyone who has ever expressed an interest in taking their family on holiday to Syria or Iraq, before and certainly not during a war.

I am mortified by the Westminster attack and it is a simple and obvious fact that Islamic fundamentalists are at war with us.
Recognising that fact doesn't alter the fact that we have made a business (literally) out of arming middle eastern countries and then going in and bombing the shit out of them for spurious reasons. Every attack we carry out just enrages them even more. If you were a relative of one of the 237 civilians killed in Mosul this week what would your attitude to the west be ?
Obviously, I do fully agree that our foreign policy certainly hasn't helped

Sadly, people are often only interested in what they think directly affects them the most. This thread has just a few posts but another about food for example will get tons more.

The west is there freeing them from IS

I just think we shouldnt get involved on other peoples business. That goes for the east and west.
We exasperated the problems in iraq not solved them. Russia probably did the same in syria, we probably covertly have in syria.
Unfortunately, for all I agree, it would be a very difficult proposition to sustain ourselves as the wealthy country we are now with the standard of living we are accustomed to if we didn't get mixed up in the affairs of people by rights we shouldn't be getting mixed up with. So it becomes a fairly simple choice. Does the end justify the means? Well, for most people, yes.

The west is there freeing them from IS
Yes. Obviously it's also a case of playing both sides against the middle because we don't want ISIS and we don't want Assad either. Which has ramifications for Iran and would stop them in their tracks from any possible expansion and for the Russians too and their interests there (namely oil). The region is a clusterfuck.

Last edited:

It's the same as local news. A crime committed in Bolton won't be reported in the sunderland echo because we are more interested in local stories. No different on an international scale as well. Something major happening in London or anywhere in the uk will attract a lot of comment unlike the same happeneing in another country. That's the same anywhere in the world, it isn't just us Brits who have more interest in our own problems.

I don't know about you, and not to be trite, but personally I don't know anyone who has ever expressed an interest in taking their family on holiday to Syria or Iraq, before and certainly not during a war.
Obviously, I do fully agree that our foreign policy certainly hasn't helped

I don't understand what point you are trying to make. I never suggested anyone would want to take their family on holiday to Iraq ? I can only assume that you misinterpreted my remark about civilians ? My point was that if you were a Syrian civilian who had seen your family turned into atoms by a Coalition missile you might tend to think we were the enemy ? You might evenue think about revenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back