Civil service jobs platform

Yeah I think that could be where I fell down mate, It's the competency based questions.. maybe I'm not competent? :lol:

Is it not still a case of you are given the competencies and bullet points of each you need to hit. Then you knock up a STAR example that hits all those points? I know some lose sight of the overall point as well. Making Effective Decisions always tripped people up where they'd not actually demonstrate making a decision.

Last edited:

It certainly is , I had 300 hrs of Toil built up at one stage last year from doing two jobs effectively and getting to use one day of it was like begging for scraps - the view is that overtime is part of the grade at least by my senior team. In the end I had a stroke and had a lot of time off and now on phased return to work - having a formal flexi scheme will stop this sort of thing happening finally
Dear me that's awful. Hope you're recovering well.

In my branch you can only carry over 14hrs of flexi every month and use 14hrs every month. Is that the same everywhere? I was building up 10 a week nearly up until a change in internal department in January

In my branch you can only carry over 14hrs of flexi every month and use 14hrs every month. Is that the same everywhere? I was building up 10 a week nearly up until a change in internal department in January
Have to be between 22:12 (3 days) up or down every 4 weeks. Can have 3 days flexi off every 4 weeks (you can have a full week flexi off twice in 12 months).

If the new conditions are voted in it will change and you will only be allowed 7 days off flexi in a 13 week period.

My old place in HMRC it was 37 hours each way with 3 days in any 4 week period and 2 full weeks in a year (although the 3 days was never enforced). That Flexi agreement was ancient though but HMRC never bothered spending the energy trying to change it.

It did cause no end of problems when our area got hoyed in with those in Newcastle, no matter how many times they were told they couldn't just change it to match Bentons.

New place it's only 22:12 up and 14:48 down.

Those working for HMRC:
What's the blended approach gonna be with working from home. Is 2 days at home guaranteed? What is the chance of more days to be agreed? I think 2 in the office, 3 at home would be a better balance.

Those working for HMRC:
What's the blended approach gonna be with working from home. Is 2 days at home guaranteed? What is the chance of more days to be agreed? I think 2 in the office, 3 at home would be a better balance.
New contract is minimum 2 days at home I believe. I think there is scope for flexibility but it will depend on which area of HMRC you work in. I would imagine the customer service areas will want staff in all 3 days, other areas will likely be more open.

New contract is minimum 2 days at home I believe. I think there is scope for flexibility but it will depend on which area of HMRC you work in. I would imagine the customer service areas will want staff in all 3 days, other areas will likely be more open.
Two days not contractual...
Can see a lot of micro managers wanting staff in as much as possible.

Two days not contractual...
Can see a lot of micro managers wanting staff in as much as possible.
Probably will be jumping on any poor performance and using that as en excuse to get them back in. Their only barrier will be office space. Wonder how this blended approach impacts on those who work 5 over 4?

Got on a merit list for an SEO yesterday so chuffed to bits with that.
Well done, I am miles away from my level but my job is doing my head in, if I go on Holiday all of the work is just piled on my desk until I come back, have to get out of here, I went to Australia for 3 weeks, I think it was 3 years ago, the amount of work that was just sitting there when I got back was sickening

Got on a merit list for an SEO yesterday so chuffed to bits with that.
What's a merit list?
Seems a little confused but I believe it won't apply if someone has to be in an office to do their job. Not sure if that will mean Contact Centres, etc. always need to be in.

What's a merit list?

Seems a little confused but I believe it won't apply if someone has to be in an office to do their job. Not sure if that will mean Contact Centres, etc. always need to be in.
Pass the interview but not in the top one so if there is a job comes up on that area in the next year I get it.
Well done, I am miles away from my level but my job is doing my head in, if I go on Holiday all of the work is just piled on my desk until I come back, have to get out of here, I went to Australia for 3 weeks, I think it was 3 years ago, the amount of work that was just sitting there when I got back was sickening
Cheers.

Yeah that doesn’t good. Your manager just lets this happen as well?

Last edited:

Back