Civil service Job application, interview result

Just AO mate,

Aye got a provisional offer last week Just waiting on checks etc now.

Nice one marra. Just keep in mind that stage can take the longest, depending on the area of business. In a past life I had two different experiences. Once time between provision, checks and formal was about six weeks all in. Another I waited four months after I received notification I'd passed checks to get a start date.

From my experience of being a public sector parasite and all round enemy of the people it means if the candidate who got offered the job doesn't take it up or leaves within a couple of months you can employ someone else deemed appointable without having to go through the interview process.
Also means they'll offer you a 'similar' post the other side of the country no doubt.

Anyone had much experience of the newer ‘Success Porfile’ application process? Been doing interviews for EO & HEO jobs recently with it. Bit different to competency stuff.

Anyone had much experience of the newer ‘Success Porfile’ application process? Been doing interviews for EO & HEO jobs recently with it. Bit different to competency stuff.
Learn how to get the recruiting manager off.

Aye. Most recruitments for relatively low level will still basically be competencies if large numbers needed as it's easier than tailoring. All it's done really is give the employer a bit more licence to mix it up, should they wish.

Aye. Most recruitments for relatively low level will still basically be competencies if large numbers needed as it's easier than tailoring. All it's done really is give the employer a bit more licence to mix it up, should they wish.
Or get their mates in easier.

No but sounds much better in the sense that it matches peoples skills and experience to a vacancy, rather than the old system of competencies which assumed people could do any job based off good competencies.

Got a provo offer 15 Jan, just had email saying pre-employment checks are complete today.

What role was that mate?

I rec'd a provo offer for an AO post on December 10th, submitted all relevant stuff immediately and still haven't heard anything. I need to obtain Security clearance on this so it could be the reason for it taking so long?

Also rec'd another provo offer for another AO role January 16th, haven't heard anything yet. Just basic DBS check was required on this I think.

Really hoping either come good soon as I don't know how much longer I can last in my current role and I don't want a gap in employment between the two!

No but sounds much better in the sense that it matches peoples skills and experience to a vacancy, rather than the old system of competencies which assumed people could do any job based off good competencies.

This. My very first civil service interview was for an admin customer service role which I knew I could do with ease, anyway I was pretty bad at the competencies as I'd never done them before so failed miserably, seems a strange way of recruiting tbh. I understand it makes it a level playing field but surely you want people who are better at the job?

Last edited:
What role was that mate?

I rec'd a provo offer for an AO post on December 10th, submitted all relevant stuff immediately and still haven't heard anything. I need to obtain Security clearance on this so it could be the reason for it taking so long?

Also rec'd another provo offer for another AO role January 16th, haven't heard anything yet. Just basic DBS check was required on this I think.

Really hoping either come good soon as I don't know how much longer I can last in my current role and I don't want a gap in employment between the two!

This. My very first civil service interview was for an admin customer service role which I knew I could do with ease, anyway I was pretty bad at the competencies as I'd never done them before so failed miserably, seems a strange way of recruiting tbh. I understand it makes it a level playing field but surely you want people who are better at the job?

Exactly with competencies they were so concerned with been open and fair, that it meant wrong people were put in wrong jobs.

It was a open system, but not a fair system as people who could make up or get someone to do some good competencies for them, woukd then get the job over someone else, who clearly had more skills and experience to do that job.

While they lose shitloads of experience with the ridiculous BOF/ Regional Centre carry on...

Is that the moving to ten offices crack?

What role was that mate?

They'll all be happening, just a matter of when. Some businesses areas are still finalising role details AFTER offering the jobs.

Last edited:
Is that the moving to ten offices crack?

They'll all be happening, just a matter of when. Some businesses areas are still finalising role details AFTER offering the jobs.

In essence yeah...compliance work done remotely :rolleyes:

With more campaigns such as “nudge” letters

The old soaks from C&E I first worked with will be turning in their graves.....

Anyone else clueless as to what AO, EO & HEO stand for?

Edit: Congrats on the offer regardless

Old pay grades....or the latter two are

Back