Civil Servant Advice

Got to be 50 and over though
Over 55 for early retirement as of about 5 years ago

From a .Gov press release last year:
  • public sector workers continue to benefit from better pensions than those offered in the private sector
  • median pay for full time employees in the public sector is £30,630 compared to £27,977 in the private sector
  • pay awards are on top of performance and progression pay, which remains automatic for some workforces
Seem to be doing ok to me.
That’s absolute bullshit; I know a lot of people at HMRC and DWP,and for the majority of them, 40 years service will give them a pension of about £8000 a year.

The most common grade, the salary max is about 19,800, and none of those I know are have had a progression or performance award for the last 12 years, although I think they have had three 1% rises in that time.

Last edited:

That's how it works, the state is funded by taxation on the produce of the private sector - the private sector benefits from some of that investment.
It'd be more efficient to say to people in the public sector we'll cut your pay, but you'll pay no tax on it.

So the public sector workers are self employed.

Why would that wind you up? What does his work and pay have to do with you? What an odd thing to say

He's a Tory who hates the public sector (said he is jealous iirc). He makes no secret of it tbf.

Last edited:
Sounds like @Brian Griffin needs a better union to represent him to get some perks.

Negotiated all perks myself cheers.

Why would that wind you up? What does his work and pay have to do with you? What an odd thing to say

Really?

You can’t understand why a public servant who wants to work half the time for full money annoys me?

The public sector should not be wasteful.

He's a Tory who hates the public sector (said he is jealous iirc). He makes no secret of it tbf.

That’s a bit of a generalisation on my opinions mind.

But yes, on the whole, I think the public services waste far too much money and pander to people who take the piss.

There are some exceptions of course - front line medical staff are top notch. Middle managent, senior management and procurement are an abomination.

Just my opinions of course. My mother was a civil servant for 35 years in Shields and Sunderland so I don’t hate the people - it’s the piss takers i have no time at all for.

Last edited:
Yes, if you think the Civil Service is stress free with no accountability - totally clueless.

It's not stress free I agree, can be pressured and definitely has accountability, I work for them have done for 27 years, but would not dream of asking for full pay while working less hours as op suggests.

If he is finding it difficult and wants to work less hours that's fair enough, but to still expect full time pay is bare faced cheek imo.

Last edited:
Negotiated all perks myself cheers.

Really?

You can’t understand why a public servant who wants to work half the time for full money annoys me?

The public sector should not be wasteful.

That’s a bit of a generalisation on my opinions mind.

But yes, on the whole, I think the public services waste far too much money and pander to people who take the piss.

There are some exceptions of course - front line medical staff are top notch. Middle managent, senior management and procurement are an abomination.

Just my opinions of course. My mother was a civil servant for 35 years in Shields and Sunderland so I don’t hate the people - it’s the piss takers i have no time at all for.
If I were you, I'd be more worried about the thousands of complete duck eggs who work in the Civil Service who are completely unemployable elsewhere but forge a career by costing through 30-40 years "service" never being managed properly or managed out

Back