Civil Enforcement Limited (Parking)

First of all, apologies for the long post but, has anyone ahd any dealings with these scumbags?

Last year, I parked my car on that awful bit of wasteland on Cowan Terrace at 8.20am (opposite Park Lane Metro) to go to work. As I did every day for 2 years, I tried to use the Phone and Pay app. On this occasion, it wasn't working so, I rang the number, only to be informed the systems were down and that I had to try again later. I went to work, tried a couple of times before eventually being able to pay at 12.20pm. I paid for 24 hours but also removed my car as was going to another site for the rest of the day and was informed by the woman on the ohone I would likely have been issued an automated letter, to which I told her I wouldn't be paying anything more.

Anyway, this went on for over a year with increasing amounts and threats of Court and Bailiff action until, a month ago, I reveived a CCJ from.Northampton Counth Court demanding £300. I immediately rang the court and was informed I cpuld challenge it for the fee of £275 which I refused to pay as had commited no offence. I have written to both them and CEL, which replied with a yet more threatening letter, claiming they could put a charge on my home etc.

Has anyone else had dealings like this? I've written to my local MP who has written letters to CEL and is awaiting a response, I've also written again to them, claiming they actually owe me money as I paid for far more than I stayed (I also paid for 24 hours the following morning whilst still in that 24 hour period) but, it looks like I'm landed with a CCJ for 6 years and Bailiffs on their way, imminently.

Its an utter disgrace when I did absolutely nothing wrong and paid in good faith, as soon as I was able via their system. I'm certainly not taking this lying down and would rather go to jail than pay them another penny.
Also, since I last wrote to them, saying my MP was on the case, my payment history, including that transaction on their app has suddenly disappeared (I'm sure that's pure coincidence).

Any advice from the resident SMB Legal Eagles?

Cheers

Oh aye, Mods could you shift this to the SMB? Ta

Last edited:

First of all, apologies for the long post but, has anyone ahd any dealings with these scumbags?

Last year, I parked my car on that awful bit of wasteland on Cowan Terrace at 8.20am (opposite Park Lane Metro) to go to work. As I did every day for 2 years, I tried to use the Phone and Pay app. On this occasion, it wasn't working so, I rang the number, only to be informed the systems were down and that I had to try again later. I went to work, tried a couple of times before eventually being able to pay at 12.20pm. I paid for 24 hours but also removed my car as was going to another site for the rest of the day and was informed by the woman on the ohone I would likely have been issued an automated letter, to which I told her I wouldn't be paying anything more.

Anyway, this went on for over a year with increasing amounts and threats of Court and Bailiff action until, a month ago, I reveived a CCJ from.Northampton Counth Court demanding £300. I immediately rang the court and was informed I cpuld challenge it for the fee of £275 which I refused to pay as had commited no offence. I have written to both them and CEL, which replied with a yet more threatening letter, claiming they could put a charge on my home etc.

Has anyone else had dealings like this? I've written to my local MP who has written letters to CEL and is awaiting a response, I've also written again to them, claiming they actually owe me money as I paid for far more than I stayed (I also paid for 24 hours the following morning whilst still in that 24 hour period) but, it looks like I'm landed with a CCJ for 6 years and Bailiffs on their way, imminently.

Its an utter disgrace when I did absolutely nothing wrong and paid in good faith, as soon as I was able via their system. I'm certainly not taking this lying down and would rather go to jail than pay them another penny.
Also, since I last wrote to them, saying my MP was on the case, my payment history, including that transaction on their app has suddenly disappeared (I'm sure that's pure coincidence).

Cheers
We had one down in Exeter and eventually went to some ombudsman, utter waste of time, we ended up paying it. Hopefully someone can help you sort it out

Cheers
Have you tried going through the small claims court?

Have you still got the proof you paid? Screenshots etc? Tell them to take you to court for it if you have. Will get thrown out.

Loads of them go to Northampton Court without informing you to be their to appeal against it. And they win the judgement in your absent. Have you checked your credit score too. Should always pay up if you are in the right
Have you still got the proof you paid? Screenshots etc? Tell them to take you to court for it if you have. Will get thrown out.
Already been to court and got a CCJ

Last edited:
Bit daft not paying it tbh, best advice is to pay it and then get a refund when you win.

You probably will win, if as you say you've been using it and paying and can prove the machines were knackered and you paid ASAP.

Cheers

This might be useful mate

Loads of them go to Northampton Court without informing you to be their to appeal against it. And they win the judgement in your absent. Have you checked your credit score too. Should always pay up if you are in the right

Already been to court and got a CCJ
It was through Northampton. Really dodgy when it was in Sunderland and they are based in Liverpool. I received no invitation to attend
Cheers mate

He already has been as he has a CCJ though seems to have missed the legal process.

I had the same with Northern Rock due to under a hundred pounds of arrears. They tried a charging order for a loan the day after the judgement, but they had withheld data from the court and shit it when I made an application to vary. Didn't get the CCJ removed but it took them a damn lot longer to recover their money and they had to pay costs.

It would have left a bitter taste, but I am sure the CCJ is lifted if you pay quickly so I'd have done that. Did they get a default judgement as you should have received documents to defend the claim prior to the CCJ.

He already has been as he has a CCJ though seems to have missed the legal process.

I had the same with Northern Rock due to under a hundred pounds of arrears. They tried a charging order for a loan the day after the judgement, but they had withheld data from the court and shit it when I made an application to vary. Didn't get the CCJ removed but it took them a damn lot longer to recover their money and they had to pay costs.

It would have left a bitter taste, but I am sure the CCJ is lifted if you pay quickly so I'd have done that. Did they get a default judgement as you should have received documents to defend the claim prior to the CCJ.
Worded poorly on my part. I meant if he has the proof. Take them to court.

The Northampton Court is a centralised process for these types of claims. The key thing is though that you will need to formally challenge the judgement made by the Northampton Court as it will lead to further fines and judgements which will eventually lead to baillifs. It will not go away.

Best thing to do is go and see Citizens Advice.

DO SOMETHING - DO NOT IGNORE IT!

They never do invite ppl to attend it, it's the County Court Business Centre and i think one of the only courts in the UK to do it
Seems like a racket to me. I never received the notice they claimed to have sent me, either. Also, I'd like to see the evidence as I bet the fact I actually paid as soon as was able was ommited.
The witholding of evidence is a crime, is it not?

Cheers

If your payment history has been wiped how can they prove non payment?

Can you not take them to court and counter claim your court fees as a settlement?

Disclaimer: I dont know hardly anything about law or court proceedings

Im pissed off for you just reading that. f***ing scumbags.

Last edited:

Back