City break in Europe

Not done any European city breaks for a good few years now. Where do you reckon is best for a bit history, cultcha, architecture and the sauce?

Flying from newcastle preferably, Leeds/Bradford or Edinburgh? Three nights mid April.

Need a bit inspiration.
Reykjavik mate, loved the place and somewhere not a lot of people have been too.

Aye it's class I was there but about 13 years ago or so. So would be looking for something different. So Ireland, Copenhagen, Berlin, Budapest, Prague, Paris and Amsterdam off the list :-O
Get yer arse to Ljubljana. Nice place for a few days break. Otherwise try Belgrade.

Not done any European city breaks for a good few years now. Where do you reckon is best for a bit history, cultcha, architecture and the sauce?

Flying from newcastle preferably, Leeds/Bradford or Edinburgh? Three nights mid April.

Need a bit inspiration.
Krakow, Budapest, Prague, Lviv, Lisbon, Porto.

Doing it for a weekend, I'd advise avoiding very large cities - not Paris, Rome, Barcelona, Madrid. If you want to stay pretty big, I enjoyed both Dusseldorf and Cologne.

Smaller scale will serve you well. A couple others have mentioned Tallinn, which is one of my favorites. Bratislava is interesting as well, especially in the contrast between the two sides of the river.

The centre of Rome (the bits you want to see) is not big at all, most are within walking distance, with maybe a 2/3 stop tube to the Colliseum.

Nee flights by the looks of it. Definitely want to go there at some point mind

No flights there either.
Yep it’s slim pickings for direct flights from Newcastle. Having the same dilemma myself as have a 4 night honeymoon to book for May. We’re down to a shortlist of Copenhagen, Venice, Rome, Barcelona and Paris with The latter two being the only direct flights. The others are connections through Heathrow or Amsterdam and take approx 4.5 hours. You can do Reykjavik in about 5 hours I think. Just a bit long travelling for a few days.

Yep it’s slim pickings for direct flights from Newcastle. Having the same dilemma myself as have a 4 night honeymoon to book for May. We’re down to a shortlist of Copenhagen, Venice, Rome, Barcelona and Paris with The latter two being the only direct flights. The others are connections through Heathrow or Amsterdam and take approx 4.5 hours. You can do Reykjavik in about 5 hours I think. Just a bit long travelling for a few days.
Fly to Pula in Croatia and stay four nights in beautiful Rovinj. It's a picture postcard place. Saw loads of dolphins when we went dolphin watching from Rovinj last summer too :cool:

Logon or register to see this image

The old Hotel Park is in the top left of that photo and has incredible views of the Old Town. It has since been has been demolished and rebuilt as a 5 star luxury Eco-friendly hotel and reopens soon. It is now called the Grand Hotel Park:

Grand Park Hotel Rovinj - Istria, Croatia - Official Website - Maistra

A pricey hotel? Definitely, but as a honeymoon destination it will be a stunning place to stay.

I really fancy St Petersburg

as much culture as you can shake a stick at...hotels are reasonable you just have to factor in your Visa

I also have a soft spot for Brussels..mainly cos I like the food and the beer is tremendous

Went to Wroclaw before christmas (Poland) and that was great and worth a visit, otherwise Krakow, Barcelona, Rome, Berlin, Bruges all good shouts, my mate reckons Budapest is very good also
Same here and just got back from another trip there on Sunday.

Quite compact old town and lovely people.

Flights were about £40 return.

Girona ahead at the moment as much due to good flight times. But missus now talking about heading out to the coast somewhere to stay rather than Girona itself. Only 30 mins away. Anyone any first hand experience of Tossa De Mar?

Not sure exactly where you live of course but Leeds Bradford airport is only 1hr45 away from Sunderland (on a clear run). A few more direct options from there.

Back