City break in Europe

You're pretty limited from Newcastle. Amsterdam can be done for less than 100 sheets but accommodation is incredibly expensive.
Aye flights from there are a bit rubbish these days. Missus just told me Ryanair cutting down some of the Dublin service which we use about 6 times a year.

Depends what you want (art, history, piss up), but some places I’d recommend (sorry if these don’t work as flight option destinations):

Berlin (I bloody love it)
Barcelona (much better than Madrid)
Rome
Florence
Lisbon
Seville
Bruges (small and probably more of a summer place though)

Aye flights from there are a bit rubbish these days. Missus just told me Ryanair cutting down some of the Dublin service which we use about 6 times a year.

You can do Vilnius in Lithuania for 84 return from Leeds. Friday to Monday, last week in April. Brilliant city and very cheap.

Newcastle is good for Spain. Malaga maybe? 50 return (ish).

The problem with the usual tourist destinations is that prices are vastly inflated when you get there. It's best to try and go slightly off the beaten track. Dusseldorf is meant to be decent.

We went to Malaga just before Christmas and found it to be a really nice city. It has A fabulous cathedral, if you like that sort of thing (I do)

Doing it for a weekend, I'd advise avoiding very large cities - not Paris, Rome, Barcelona, Madrid. If you want to stay pretty big, I enjoyed both Dusseldorf and Cologne.

Smaller scale will serve you well. A couple others have mentioned Tallinn, which is one of my favorites. Bratislava is interesting as well, especially in the contrast between the two sides of the river.

Back