City break in Europe

Is there plenty to do in dusseldorf or just beer and football

Beer & footy are the main attractions. Along with some absolutely stunning women, especially in the summer down by the river.

Places to visit:
Rhine Tower (Rheinturm) - fantastic views
Aquazoo in Nord Park (walk back along the river to the Altstadt)
Konigsallee for shopping (high end designer shops mainly)
Schloss Benrath - Baroque style palace & gardens

Things I haven't done but are available:
Brewery tours
Rhine cruises
Open top bus tours as per usual.
Kunstpalast Museum - arts. There's also a lot of arty stuff elsewhere
I believe there's a walking tour though not 100% certain.
There's also a major ice hockey team if you're into that.

Beer & footy are the main attractions. Along with some absolutely stunning women, especially in the summer down by the river.

Places to visit:
Rhine Tower (Rheinturm) - fantastic views
Aquazoo in Nord Park (walk back along the river to the Altstadt)
Konigsallee for shopping (high end designer shops mainly)
Schloss Benrath - Baroque style palace & gardens

Things I haven't done but are available:
Brewery tours
Rhine cruises
Open top bus tours as per usual.
Kunstpalast Museum - arts. There's also a lot of arty stuff elsewhere
I believe there's a walking tour though not 100% certain.
There's also a major ice hockey team if you're into that.

Koln played Dusseldorf in the ice hockey on Saturday

Logon or register to see this image

Im off to Krakow in April. Reasonable prices and play it right the beer and food is cheap as there
Missus doesn't want to go there as a few people from her work are going this year :rolleyes:

Milan is class (should have known as it was said to be shite according to the SMB).

Imagine thinking this is grim
Logon or register to see this image
That is the nicest bit mind. And great it is too. Had a good laugh down there in the bars with the bellas.

I did find most of the rest of the city grim enough though. And the Duomo was full of scaffolding (though that always happens to me with sights). Still had a great weekend.

That is the nicest bit mind. And great it is too. Had a good laugh down there in the bars with the bellas.

I did find most of the rest of the city grim enough though. And the Duomo was full of scaffolding (though that always happens to me with sights). Still had a great weekend.

I think the use of the word "grim" is completely OTT and tends to mean its got a canny bit of graffiti. Might just be me but prefer places that are a bit rough round the edges in parts. Certainly doesn't mean they are grim. Plus, the beauty is found outside the centre, like most cities.

Each to their own though.

I think the use of the word "grim" is completely OTT and tends to mean its got a canny bit of graffiti. Might just be me but prefer places that are a bit rough round the edges in parts. Certainly doesn't mean they are grim. Plus, the beauty is found outside the centre, like most cities.

Each to their own though.
Nah I reckon grim was right. Lots of it dirty but dull. I don't mind dirty places once they've got something else to offer. Love Asia for that for example. But Milan did nowt for me.

Mind I've no doubt there was loads I didn't see which would have been better.

Did Wroclaw, Prague, Budapest, Milan and Vienna on consecutive weekends before Xmas - Budapest/Milan were the pick of them, Prague and Vienna think I've done too many times and Wroclaw was average

Not done any European city breaks for a good few years now. Where do you reckon is best for a bit history, cultcha, architecture and the sauce?

Flying from newcastle preferably, Leeds/Bradford or Edinburgh? Three nights mid April.

Need a bit inspiration.
Cologne, Brussels, Bordeaux.

Back