City Bistro (Sunderland College, Park Lane - Review

tunstallhill

Striker
wouldn't normally bother but this place deserves major recognition. the first genuine fine dining experience in sunderland, and much more.

had the 10 course tasting menu, which was varied, imaginative, and expertly delivered. had the 5-glass wine tasting to compliment it and at £55 all in, its superb value. i've paid 3 or 4 times this amount for similar standard food in big cities. won't bore anybody with the individual courses, but the 2 year cured mangalica ham was really special. never felt meat texture like it

in addition, the head chef is supported by A-level students in the kitchen, who are a joy to watch. its quite therapeutic being in the kitchen with them. it borders on art. the head chef spends a large portion of the night chatting about the restaurant, set up with the college, the food and the students, and also takes you for a detailed tour of the kitchens which he is clearly passionate about.

anyone who has half an interest in eating food that has been prepared to high standards and with love and imagination, on par with the top restaurants, needs to have a look at this place. i'm so happy sunderland has somewhere like this.

somehow ranked #62 of restaurants in sunderland on TripAdvisor (!). its one of the best restaurants in the whole of the north east

City Bistro

City Bistro, Sunderland - Park Ln - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor

I went to a business dinner there which was spot on ( and cost me nowt)

Keep thinking I should book up for a meal there but not got round to it yet

wouldn't normally bother but this place deserves major recognition. the first genuine fine dining experience in sunderland, and much more.

had the 10 course tasting menu, which was varied, imaginative, and expertly delivered. had the 5-glass wine tasting to compliment it and at £55 all in, its superb value. i've paid 3 or 4 times this amount for similar standard food in big cities. won't bore anybody with the individual courses, but the 2 year cured mangalica ham was really special. never felt meat texture like it

in addition, the head chef is supported by A-level students in the kitchen, who are a joy to watch. its quite therapeutic being in the kitchen with them. it borders on art. the head chef spends a large portion of the night chatting about the restaurant, set up with the college, the food and the students, and also takes you for a detailed tour of the kitchens which he is clearly passionate about.

anyone who has half an interest in eating food that has been prepared to high standards and with love and imagination, on par with the top restaurants, needs to have a look at this place. i'm so happy sunderland has somewhere like this.

somehow ranked #62 of restaurants in sunderland on TripAdvisor (!). its one of the best restaurants in the whole of the north east

City Bistro

City Bistro, Sunderland - Park Ln - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor
Has Spug been? And more to the point does he rate the place?

I went for my mate's 50th last year. Very nice bait and decor, atmosphere was a little flat. That said it was all couples and my other half was in Manchester for a half marathon so I felt a bit of a spare prick.

Sort of unrelated to the post but I saw how long it was and that it's 2:45, and I've decided I need to rethink my life.

City Bistro

Ok chef

City Bistro

Sounds mint that, hope it does well.

Sounds mint that, hope it does well.

its really special. on top of the food, service, price etc... its nice to know that any moneys made go back into the running of the place as its kind of 'non-profit' . obviously needs supporting or else it will shut down and just be a training kitchen

the kitchen itself is brilliant, cost over £200k and one of the most top of the range facilities in the country for student chefs.

theres a salon, barbers, spa and everything in there. all really cheap as they are all operated by the students.

They did the bait for my nieces christening and the bait was unreal like. Definitely would recommend it for buffet

Last edited:
Interested to see how they’ll serve the beer. With each course? 1/3 pint glasses? Again the wife’s not keen so I’ll be having hers - not sure why I’m taking her if truth be told - and be no doubt mortal.

Back