cigarettes only sold in 20s now

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has no value whatsoever. None. At least recreational drugs get you properly high, smoking just addicts you to nicotine.

That's not really for you to decide on everyone's behalf mate. Adults are aware of pros and cons of everything and this only harms themselves so they're free (and should be free) to make that choice.

I read on about your posts about lost family members (I too have had this) but again, they were aware and chose that option.

It's nothing more than a control issue and that I do not agree with, whether it's in relation to cigarettes, marijuana or whatever. Anything that can lead to danger to others then fair enough but it's highly hypocritical to enforce these whilst having very lax laws around alcohol intake.

Why try to be a clever fuck about it?
TrIng to be a clever fuck by posting actual facts??
I have never denied that smoking is harmful to health - link one post where I have. My point has always been that the health impacts are exaggerated. And it is not accidentally done. Firstly and really not that importantly there are a shitload of people making shitloads of money out of being anti tobacco. Secondly and much more importantly by having a unique number one health risk it means governments can take a position as being active on health issues whilst ignoring the evidence and all the other issues. It's easy for them and let's corporations carry on making billions from adding anything I to the food chain that makes it cheaper and toxifying the environment with all sorts of shite.
And look how successful it is. Someone like you in the health sector immediately links smoking with cancer - nice and emotive - when pulmonary disease affects more smokers than all cancers combined. Then you talk about Big Tobacco - so what is the average income of someone working in the tobacco industry? And how much do governments take from tobacco compared to tobacco companies?

either ban them all together or just fuck off, it must be a right twat on for shop workers now they are all in the same colour packaging and them sliding doors etc....do they really think that stops people smoking does it fuck
Never mind when you waiting in a queue and the person in front is trying to buy some cigs, another 5 minutes before getting served

I'm not generally in favour of intervention but I agree with this, if it stops even one young person taking up the habit then it is worth it for me, the menthol ban does seem a bit extreme but I can see the logic behind it.

Also interesting to see the tobacco companies are against it because smoking rates amongst young people in France have apparently increased since their ban came into force in January, strange business sense that like.

That's not really for you to decide on everyone's behalf mate. Adults are aware of pros and cons of everything and this only harms themselves so they're free (and should be free) to make that choice.

I read on about your posts about lost family members (I too have had this) but again, they were aware and chose that option.

It's nothing more than a control issue and that I do not agree with, whether it's in relation to cigarettes, marijuana or whatever. Anything that can lead to danger to others then fair enough but it's highly hypocritical to enforce these whilst having very lax laws around alcohol intake.

that's not true mind if they smoke around others and their children.

Adults are aware of the pros and cons of smoking, of course they are. That's why if you get to adulthood without getting addicted to nicotine the chances are that you won't start using the product because as an adult you're more likely to make that choice.

The problem is that tobacco companies want to addict kids before they become adults. While they're daft and impressionable.

Never mind when you waiting in a queue and the person in front is trying to buy some cigs, another 5 minutes before getting served
That was actually one of the reasons I ended up knocking them on the head for good. Had a few times where I had to queue up for ages, then when I got to the front and they opened the shutters they didn't have my brand, pissed me right off.

He isn't deciding though, he has an opinion on the subject. Like it or not there is plenty of evidence to support his argument.

I think tracky bottoms should be banned unless you are en route, participating in, or returning home from some sort of exercise. My rationale is that scummy bastards are more likely to wear these things and I dislike charvas. My opinion has fuck all impact on whether that will happen.

Adults are aware of the pros and cons of smoking, of course they are. That's why if you get to adulthood without getting addicted to nicotine the chances are that you won't start using the product because as an adult you're more likely to make that choice.

The problem is that tobacco companies want to addict kids before they become adults. While they're daft and impressionable.
Remember those smokers are harming those around them too, regardless of whether they understand the risks or not they are still having an impact on those around them that choose not to smoke.

Last edited:
I'm not generally in favour of intervention but I agree with this, if it stops even one young person taking up the habit then it is worth it for me, the menthol ban does seem a bit extreme but I can see the logic behind it.

Also interesting to see the tobacco companies are against it because smoking rates amongst young people in France have apparently increased since their ban came into force in January, strange business sense that like.

that's not true mind if they smoke around others and their children.

I'd like to see some scientific evidence about just how much passive smoking you'd have to be exposed to for it to actually have a detrimental impact on someone. I'm thinking it's more scaremongering than anything else. Of course it's not nice but they're not out there banning sugar from everything are they and look at he damage that does.

There's enough education out there nowadays for adults/parents etc to make informed choices and I appreciate so many factors come into play but let's not kid ourselves that all these kinds of decisions are based on anything more than money and control.

It's because price then becomes the major differentiator and therefore impacts revenues.
That is not to say of course that tobacco companies are not opposed to measures that do reduce smoking.

TrIng to be a clever fuck by posting actual facts??
I have never denied that smoking is harmful to health - link one post where I have. My point has always been that the health impacts are exaggerated. And it is not accidentally done. Firstly and really not that importantly there are a shitload of people making shitloads of money out of being anti tobacco. Secondly and much more importantly by having a unique number one health risk it means governments can take a position as being active on health issues whilst ignoring the evidence and all the other issues. It's easy for them and let's corporations carry on making billions from adding anything I to the food chain that makes it cheaper and toxifying the environment with all sorts of shite.
And look how successful it is. Someone like you in the health sector immediately links smoking with cancer - nice and emotive - when pulmonary disease affects more smokers than all cancers combined. Then you talk about Big Tobacco - so what is the average income of someone working in the tobacco industry? And how much do governments take from tobacco compared to tobacco companies?

You're trying to lead the argument down a path that you know you'll have masses of facts on.

I do immediately link smoking with cancer, because smoking has a huge impact on the risk of developing certain types of cancer. A phenomenally huge risk in fact.

I see no reason why the average salary of someone who works in 'big tobacco' is at all relevant.

Tobacco does nothing. It produces no value whatsoever. It has no place in society, none.

I think tracky bottoms should be banned unless you are en route, participating in, or returning home from some sort of exercise. My rationale is that scummy bastards are more likely to wear these things and I dislike charvas. My opinion has fuck all impact on whether that will happen.

I did walk to the corner shop in trackies this morning like. Soz, hew.

You're trying to lead the argument down a path that you know you'll have masses of facts on.

I do immediately link smoking with cancer, because smoking has a huge impact on the risk of developing certain types of cancer. A phenomenally huge risk in fact.

I see no reason why the average salary of someone who works in 'big tobacco' is at all relevant.

Tobacco does nothing. It produces no value whatsoever. It has no place in society, none.

I did walk to the corner shop in trackies this morning like. Soz, hew.
Wait till you get a bird and she won`t stop chelping while your trying to watch telly.Then you`ll realise the value of ciggies. Since i`ve stopped i realise how many domestic murders they prevent :evil:

You're the one who works in health in some role involving statistics so if I am going down a path it is a path that is your area of expertise my friend!

No value at all - how about 70% of the FOREX for Malawi? Or do you count that as zero value as they are foreigners and one of the poorest countries in the world?

You're the one who works in health in some role involving statistics so if I am going down a path it is a path that is your area of expertise my friend!

No value at all - how about 70% of the FOREX for Malawi? Or do you count that as zero value as they are foreigners and one of the poorest countries in the world?

I'm talking about our society. Not Malawi.

See this is exactly what I meant by you taking this discussion down a very narrow, obscure path where you know all the facts. I'm not going to fall for that.

There is nothing good about cigarettes. Nothing.

See this is exactly what I meant by you taking this discussion down a very narrow, obscure path where you know all the facts. I'm not going to fall for that.

Apart from looking even more lush as fuck when smoking.

Ok so at least we are narrowing down the issue for you.
Is there no value at all in the billions of revenue from tobacco sales in the UK?

A very narrow path - you mean that relating to tobacco, the subject of this whole thread!

Is there no value at all in the billions of revenue from tobacco sales in the UK?

If you want to call billions raised from tobacco value, then sure there's value.

That isn't value to me, because I see cigarettes as absolutely pointless things. The product itself has no value. You cannot just slap a tax on a demonstrably harmful, addictive and expensive product and call it 'value'.

A very narrow path - you mean that relating to tobacco, the subject of this whole thread!
There is fuck all value in something that raises taxes that are required to be spent further down the road in cancer/heart/lung treatment and the rest of the misery they create.

Smoking causes premature deaths. Why people justify this in financial terms I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back