Chronical of a cyclist’s death avoided

If they are at fault then they should be done simple as that. I'm not saying anything different. Just someone said they should be prosecuted yet we don't know the full story. If I'd been hit by somone driving dangerously I'd be going off it but OP hasn't really gave much detail so I'll reserve judgement till then.
He's a cyclist been hit behind at 60mph by a car mate. Unless he was sitting still in the middle of the a19 I highly suspect he wasn't at fault.

We have a friend in North Yorkshire, her son 36, fit, wife and two kids often went cycling through the countryside and through forests. Two years ago went out on his usual Sunday ride and flying through a forest, hit a tree broke a few bones. Next day on life support, his immune system attacking his various wounds. By Wednesday he was critical, died the same day. Risky business riding hell for leather on those places.

Hope she's being prosecuted and hope you come out of this quickly and well mate. Good luck with getting some rest, those shoulder and rib injuries will do everything they can to stop you being comfortable.

Re the helmet, I NEVER ride without mine after coming off my bike and bouncing my head off the ground. KO'd myself, but it saved serious injury (and saved half my face being scraped off on the road).
I mean what situation can you think of that any vehicle hit at 60mph from behind that wouldn't be the fault of the person doing 60mph.the maximum speed of the cyclist would have been 20-25 mph. The absolute minimum is driving without due care and attention but we all know the laws for killing and maiming behind the wheel are a f***ing farce.
Correct. It’s with the police now so wait and see.

If you are on bike then you need to have good luck in that no one crashes into you when it’s not your fault. But you can make a bit of your own good luck by wearing a helmet.

Correct. It’s with the police now so wait and see.

If you are on bike then you need to have good luck in that no one crashes into you when it’s not your fault. But you can make a bit of your own good luck by wearing a helmet.
Rinse her mate. Glad you're alive and hope you can get back on your feet.

This is what you get when you put cycles and cars on the same road network

Some dicks on the roads

All the best to the OP though, hope you get out there soon

Last edited:
I’m no evangelist for helmets- never have been. Should not be compulsory, drivers should be educated/prosecuted, roads should be safer. Totally agree.

But I’d be dead now without one and through no fault of my own
I think a higher standard of cyclist training is needed too mate. Obviously not in your case like

Holland have a lot less fatalities and a lot less helmet wearers

I think there’s less focus on beating times etc over there though

Been riding bikes all my life. About 4 years ago I started road riding - going a lot faster and a lot further. Decided to get a helmet and wear it. Not a scratch on it so was always little voice asking why bother with it?

Well on Thursday was hit from behind by a car that was traveling at 60 f***ing mph. Bike smashed in 2, 2 broken vertebra, broken ankle, dislocated ankle broken rib and broken shoulder blade.

Anyway in RVI and counting my blessings.

The helmet was also split in 2. It saved my life.

Driver at fault no doubt

Been riding bikes all my life. About 4 years ago I started road riding - going a lot faster and a lot further. Decided to get a helmet and wear it. Not a scratch on it so was always little voice asking why bother with it?

Well on Thursday was hit from behind by a car that was traveling at 60 f***ing mph. Bike smashed in 2, 2 broken vertebra, broken ankle, dislocated ankle broken rib and broken shoulder blade.

Anyway in RVI and counting my blessings.

The helmet was also split in 2. It saved my life.

pleased you're ok (ish) did she just plough straight into the back of you?

Happened to a mate of mine a few years ago. Hit at 60 by a taxi from behind made a right mess of him. Luckily made a full recovery. Taxi driver tried to say he could not see him as it was dark and he had no lights, it was his dash can that showed my mate had a good quality hi-vis that was glowing in the taxi drivers head lights for a good 10 seconds, two red lights illuminated with one solid and one flashing. And the first copper on the scene noticed a still warm curry on the passenger floor and a plastic fork with a lump of chicken attached on the drivers side floor of the taxi. Ended up with about £35,000 compo.

Back