Chronical of a cyclist’s death avoided

Been riding bikes all my life. About 4 years ago I started road riding - going a lot faster and a lot further. Decided to get a helmet and wear it. Not a scratch on it so was always little voice asking why bother with it?

Well on Thursday was hit from behind by a car that was traveling at 60 f***ing mph. Bike smashed in 2, 2 broken vertebra, broken ankle, dislocated ankle broken rib and broken shoulder blade.

Anyway in RVI and counting my blessings.

The helmet was also split in 2. It saved my life.
Been back cycling 5 years now, mainly commuting, been knocked off twice and countless near misses. Bearing in mind I avoid main roads as much as possible it's ridiculous out there now, the amount of idiots on the roads is scary.
Had one a few weeks ago on a road signed for no motorised vehicles except buses, road surface near kerb is terrible so I'm riding in middle of my lane. Small van comes flying behind me and passes within 6 inches, I give him the wanker sign to which he stops, I pull up to his window where he tells me I shouldn't be riding in the middle of the road! I explain (forcefully) that he shouldn't be on this road & irrespective of where I'm riding he cannot deliberately drive so close whilst passing me, also tell him it's perfectly legal for me to ride in the middle of the lane. His response, well I'm not the only one who drives along here! Then accelerates away, wheel spinning!
I tell you, we've got no chance!
Pleased you're on the mend.

Anyone who rides a bicycle on a main road has a death wish imo, its doesn't take a genius to work out what will happen. My advice is keep off the roads stick to the moors. Get well soon and I wish you a speedy recovery.

I hope you'll be putting in a claim, same thing happened to a friend, broke his collar bone and ankle. He got hit at about 30mph side on.

Ouch. Get well soon. It might not feel like it for a while, but you've had a lucky escape. Mate of mine was paralysed from the waist down under similar circumstances.

Anyone who rides a bicycle on a main road has a death wish imo, its doesn't take a genius to work out what will happen. My advice is keep off the roads stick to the moors. Get well soon and I wish you a speedy recovery.
No. For some people cycling is their main way of getting about. All a cyclist has to do is ensure that they are visible and follow the highway code. Not saying this will make them immune to accidents but it will go a long way. Sometimes though shit happens.

Been riding bikes all my life. About 4 years ago I started road riding - going a lot faster and a lot further. Decided to get a helmet and wear it. Not a scratch on it so was always little voice asking why bother with it?

Well on Thursday was hit from behind by a car that was traveling at 60 f***ing mph. Bike smashed in 2, 2 broken vertebra, broken ankle, dislocated ankle broken rib and broken shoulder blade.

Were u wearing a black and white top....get well soon

And that's the difference between between cyclists and car drivers. She could have killed the op.

@Shivafever

Lucky escape mate. If everyone would just take 10 seconds. f***ing awful. Hope you can recover and get back on the wheels

I live within about 10 miles of work, a nothing distance for cycling. I wouldn't cycle two of the roads for all the tea in China.

Ouch. Get well soon. It might not feel like it for a while, but you've had a lucky escape. Mate of mine was paralysed from the waist down under similar circumstances.
Good few years ago a used to work with a lad then never saw him for years and bumped into him coaching kids football as I used to. After a couple of seasons I got to know his kid and we were playing his team and asked him where his Dad was that day, their coach pulled me quickly to one side and said he'd been killed a few weeks earlier, knocked off his bike at a junction by a woman driver who never even saw him. I didn't know what to say, devastated for the lad.

Good few years ago a used to work with a lad then never saw him for years and bumped into him coaching kids football as I used to. After a couple of seasons I got to know his kid and we were playing his team and asked him where his Dad was that day, their coach pulled me quickly to one side and said he'd been killed a few weeks earlier, knocked off his bike at a junction by a woman driver who never even saw him. I didn't know what to say, devastated for the lad.
Bet she said smidsy

Get well soon fella x

But you hope she's being prosecuted without knowing anything about incident apart from OP saying he was hit by a car doing 60mph from behind.
I mean what situation can you think of that any vehicle hit at 60mph from behind that wouldn't be the fault of the person doing 60mph.the maximum speed of the cyclist would have been 20-25 mph. The absolute minimum is driving without due care and attention but we all know the laws for killing and maiming behind the wheel are a f***ing farce.

I mean what situation can you think of that any vehicle hit at 60mph from behind that wouldn't be the fault of the person doing 60mph.the maximum speed of the cyclist would have been 20-25 mph. The absolute minimum is driving without due care and attention but we all know the laws for killing and maiming behind the wheel are a f***ing farce.
If they are at fault then they should be done simple as that. I'm not saying anything different. Just someone said they should be prosecuted yet we don't know the full story. If I'd been hit by somone driving dangerously I'd be going off it but OP hasn't really gave much detail so I'll reserve judgement till then.

Back