Chromebooks

I am contemplating replacing my ageing laptop, and given what I do (internet, emails, writing) a chromebook seems to be an option.

Are there any of you who are Chromebook users, and how do you find them ? And how do you cope when you don't have wifi ?

We have one as a bit of a general purpose family computer and it does the job fine but I don't like it as much as a Windows laptop. It's not as intuitive as I would like, as a PC user 90% of the time. However it is nice and simple to boot up for browsing etc.

Can't really comment on using it without wifi as it doesn't leave the house.

We have one as a bit of a general purpose family computer and it does the job fine but I don't like it as much as a Windows laptop. It's not as intuitive as I would like, as a PC user 90% of the time. However it is nice and simple to boot up for browsing etc.

I leave the house with it when I go away with work, so the ability to at least write stuff is essential if I'm offline for periods of time.

Not overfond of Windows 10, refuse to pay daft money for Apple, and don't fancy the hassle of rolling my own using Linux.

Got a asus chromebook flip c302 and its brilliant. Had 2 macbook pros previously which were great but having finished uni i didnt really have a need for once they started to slow down. My chromebook browses really fast and iv yet to find something i need to do on it that i cant due to compatibility issues etc.

What happens with word and excel. Can you get it for them?

I was thinking about getting the bairn one for Christmas. It'll just be for browsing and doing homework so she'll need office. Any good?

I got a Chromebook in the end. I was surprised, and in a good way. It's not a powerful beast, but word processing, spreadsheets, email, web browsing, Youtube and even Netflix are all really responsive. Switch it on, and literally inside a couple of seconds you are asked to log in and you are working. Similarly, shut it down and it switches straight off immediately. No waiting.

It actually did an operating system update on Saturday. Not one of your massive Windows jobbies over hours with multiple reboots. About a minute, tops.

Offline, I can still get stuff done. And, should I want to load it up with stuff, they run Android apps as well.

To date, I have added I've added Evernote, which I use a lot, and Snapseed for quick processing of odd photos on my travels.

It is great - what a laptop should be. A light, portable device that allows you to get stuff done while on the move. Battery life is cracking. To date, I am enjoy using it, and on this experience I am unlikely to consider a Windows laptop in future.

Can't decide to buy a Chromebook or Windows laptop. I like the idea of adding the apps from the play store, but need the office app's to be decent so my daughter can do her homework.

Lenovo N23 Yoga.

Comes with a ARM based quad core processor (Mediatech 8173C) rather than anything by Intel, which seemed odd, but it is reasonably priced, it gets decent reviews and it performs well.
Why odd? Its basically a tablet with an attached keyboard - so an ARM cpu is exactly what you'd expect.

Why odd? Its basically a tablet with an attached keyboard - so an ARM cpu is exactly what you'd expect.
Indeed. Yet a large majority of them use Celerons, and this one using an ARM chip seems an outlier.

It is pretty much a tablet with a keyboard, and runs Android apps. Having to resist loading it up with shit !

Still very happy with it.

Back