Christmas lights /tree down

I always take mine down on New Year's Day. But I like to leave some lights on a decorative twig affair I've got so it's not too stark.

Sitting in a dentist's this morning and they were taking the decorations down as I sat there. Double gloom.

Used to wait till 12 th night, but now take them down before New Year. They belong to the old year, and it's nice to start the new year all fresh and tidy.
No - they belong to the whole Christmas celebrations as it marks the beginning of Epiphany on 6 January, the Christian feast day when observers celebrate the visit to Jesus by the Magi - commonly known as the Three kings, or Wise Men.
The Spanish kids get their presents then as an example.

No - they belong to the whole Christmas celebrations as it marks the beginning of Epiphany on 6 January, the Christian feast day when observers celebrate the visit to Jesus by the Magi - commonly known as the Three kings, or Wise Men.
The Spanish kids get their presents then as an example.
My mother used to put her tree up 24th Dec and keep till 12 th night. I'm not religious myself but ( for others ) do take part in the seasonal celebrations, though happily wouldn't if I could be purely selfish.

So making my house clean and tidy for the new year is maybe my 'tradition".

Fully agree, but having 2 little uns with different mams makes me f***ing dread xmas from start to finish, it’s f***ing sad really, but I’d rather have me heed in the bucket all holidays.
Oh aye the kids being back at school would be part of the deal. Fuck have them around all the time. I'm in the same boat as you too. Christ it's hard work

The wifes niece puts hers up in the middle of November and takes everything down boxing day.
Surely it's more like Christmas now than the middle of November?

My neighbour does that.

Mine go up around the 15th and come down first weekend of Jan as I have a weekend of tidying up and watching FA Cup round 3 matches.

Back