Christians gather around hospital to put women off having abortions

We agree, but some on here seem to think all women are vulnerable wimps. I guess they mean kindly but it is a tad condescending don't you think?
Completely agree.

When considering an abortion women have difficult decisions to make at a time of extreme emotional upheaval. There will be doubts, tears, guilt, anxiety as well as relief and a sense of closure at a decision made. In my experience women demonstrate their strength at such times. They'll need support, sure, but they don't suddenly lose mental capacity or become passive.

Using the phrase "vulnerable women" denies women's strength and infantilises them. I suspect it also speaks to a need to protect by the men that bandy it about.

Because currently our technology is able to keep alive a baby born after 24 weeks, but before that babies rarely survive. So that’s the legal limit currently.

There was some debate recently about the creation of an artificial womb which is happening, which then brings this limit into debate.

Always think that's a daft reason mind "before that time it can't survive on its own". Fuck me, a 2 year old baby couldn't survive on its own, it needs it's mother (or another carer) but no one suggests that you should be able to kill newborns

Always think that's a daft reason mind "before that time it can't survive on its own". Fuck me, a 2 year old baby couldn't survive on its own, it needs it's mother (or another carer) but no one suggests that you should be able to kill newborns

Any competent adult can look after a bairn. It is biologically independent. A foetus isn’t

Any competent adult can look after a bairn. It is biologically independent. A foetus isn’t

But the baby can't survive on its own, just like it can't when it's in the womb. If the argument is "it can't survive on its own" then it doesn't matter how many adults are capable of looking after it, a newborn also can't survive on its own so shouldn't get any more protection than a 12 week old foetus, if that's the definition

It's still a stupid reason to allow it to be killed .

I don’t think it’s a stupid reason at all but I suppose we have entirely different ideological viewpoints

But the baby can't survive on its own, just like it can't when it's in the womb. If the argument is "it can't survive on its own" then it doesn't matter how many adults are capable of looking after it, a newborn also can't survive on its own so shouldn't get any more protection than a 12 week old foetus, if that's the definition

A 12 week old foetus isn’t a separate organism. A newborn is

If you took a 12 week old foetus out of a woman would it survive? No, even if it was looked after

If you took a newborn away from a woman would it survive? Yes, if it was looked after

I don’t think it’s a stupid reason at all but I suppose we have entirely different ideological viewpoints

If you took a 12 week old foetus out of a woman would it survive? No, even if it was looked after

If you took a newborn away from a woman would it survive? Yes, if it was looked after

So if eventually they find a way whereby a 1 week old foetus could be looked after would you support massively lowering the abortion limit then?

So where do you draw the line Frijj? How many weeks?

Well technically, it’s because even with medical intervention, we can’t keep it alive.

Once our medical technology increases? It may come down.

So if eventually they find a way whereby a 1 week old foetus could be looked after would you support massively lowering the abortion limit then?
There has been a debate about this very thing as we have started to develop the articifial womb.

24 weeks and 1 day would be my guess. What are the chances of a foetus/baby surviving on it's own after that length of time and what kind of life would it have I wonder?
Many premature babies survive and live healthy lives nowadays. Just not before 24 weeks. Around 24 they need a shit load of NICU.

Last edited:

Back