Christian Eriksen

No way they could be sure of anything on the pitch other than no detectable pulse. You'd need a ECG to be certain, and you can't attach the electrodes while you're giving CPR.

Ideally, there should be some on the concourses, if the St Johns don't have them to hand.
That’s what I was thinking I know the FoL has one, definitely worth bringing it up though

No way they could be sure of anything on the pitch other than no detectable pulse. You'd need a ECG to be certain, and you can't attach the electrodes while you're giving CPR.
I was reading what the club Doctor said, he reckoned Christian had a heartbeat at the beginning but after a short while it slowed and then had gone - hence the CPR, thankfully it only took 1 blast with the defibrillator to get his heart beating again. A miracle, I'm just so relieved the man is still breathing.

I'm referring to the use of the defibrillator, you're talking about CPR, they're two different things.
Yeah gotcha mate. Got muddled. Muamba could have been de-fibbed if his heart was not in correct rhythm. I thought you meant chest compressions which cannot be done on a moving stretcher.

my mistake
I thought you were only technically dead when there was no brain activity? Wasn’t Eriksen more of a misfiring rather than stopped heart? Could be wrong on either or both counts here.
when there is no heart beat the brain gets no blood/oxygen. He was dead as his heart was not beating and no sign of life.

Last edited:

Ideally, there should be some on the concourses, if the St Johns don't have them to hand.

You can, a lot of defibs have them built in. Maybe not the ones attached to walls in shops but the ones used by the pros do quite often. They aren't as comprehensive as a 12 lead ECG but you can see what's happening with them, i.e. pulseless electrical activity, VF, Asystole etc etc
I thought you were only technically dead when there was no brain activity? Wasn’t Eriksen more of a misfiring rather than stopped heart? Could be wrong on either or both counts here.

Your heart stops working you are classed as dead, CPR is only done at this point and it's bring back life, or more accurately brings the heart back to its proper rhythm, the likes of VF you can use a defib as their is activity in the heart but it's fucked, asystole (flat line they call it in the movies) you don't shock as the heart is doing jack shit and no electrical impulses are going through it. Their are other rythyms as well that are either shocked or not so.

Last edited:

You can, a lot of defibs have them built in. Maybe not the ones attached to walls in shops but the ones used by the pros do quite often. They aren't as comprehensive as a 12 lead ECG but you can see what's happening with them, i.e. pulseless electrical activity, VF, Asystole etc etc

Your heart stops working you are classed as dead, CPR is only done at this point and it's bring back life, or more accurately brings the heart back to its proper rhythm, the likes of VF you can use a defib as their is activity in the heart but it's fucked, asystole (flat line they call it in the movies) you don't shock as the heart is doing jack shit and no electrical impulses are going through it. Their are other rythyms as well that are either shocked or not so.
Yeah, exactly this. At the end of the day you need some kind of electrical signal before you can use a defib.

Cheers. I knew someone on here would know for definite. Apologies to @Panhead for seeking clarification.

Last edited:
If I was him I’d be counting my lucky stars and just enjoy his life and family now.
No way would I risk anything like that happening again.

Sure his family comes first, totally agree. I heard Daley Blind collapsed twice but now plays with a defibrillator so was just wondering. In the age of modern science anything is possible, but if there is any increased risk of it happening again its a no no.

:eek: You sure it’s not a pacemaker?
Mentioned here:
Nouri and Eriksen are not the only former Ajax player with heart problems. Daley Blind also collapsed twice during a match and always plays his matches with a defibrillator.

Mentioned here:
Nouri and Eriksen are not the only former Ajax player with heart problems. Daley Blind also collapsed twice during a match and always plays his matches with a defibrillator.
Might be a bit of a translation thing from Dutch?

Mentioned here:
What were Ajax putting on their cornflakes?

Probably, should have paid more attention.

Maybe I miss heard but I think Clive Tyldesley said Daley Blind has played 42 games since. Its long shot, his families life is paramount, I'm sure the doctors will give the best advice and suggest what's in his best interests.

they defo said he has an implanted defib, my Mother in Law got one fitted several years ago. Bit scary thinking it’ll shock you if needed but better than the alternative

they defo said he has an implanted defib, my Mother in Law got one fitted several years ago. Bit scary thinking it’ll shock you if needed but better than the alternative
Aye seems it’s called both, an implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) or pacemaker.

An implantable cardioverter defibrillator (pacemaker) is a small device which can treat people with dangerously abnormal heart rhythms.

It sends electrical pulses to regulate abnormal heart rhythms, specifically those that can be dangerous and cause a cardiac arrest.

If an ICD notices a dangerous heart rhythm it can deliver one or more of the following treatments:

Pacing – a series of low-voltage electrical impulses (paced beats) at a fast rate to try and correct the heart rhythm.

Cardioversion – one or more small electric shocks to try and restore the heart to a normal rhythm.

Defibrillation – one or more larger electric shocks to try and restore the heart to a normal rhythm.

Aye seems it’s called both, an implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) or pacemaker.

You can get pacemakers that do just that, pace the heart but you can also get implantable defibs that also double up as pacemakers. Lass I work with has a defib fitted and it'll give off a siren if she needs a blue light ambulance immediately and if it needs to it'll shock her

Back