Christian Bakers Win "Gay Cake" Supreme Court appeal

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date

Sorry but I think the bakers are in the wrong.

It’s clearly discrimination, claiming they wouldn’t have done that for anyone is bollocks. How many straight people would ask for that?

What if it was a photo framing place who refused to frame photos of black people?

Religious views have no place at work.
I think we should respect people's religious beliefs
They aren't going away any time soon and it starts fights that don't have to be fought
Comparing it to racism is silly
Just a Christian cake maker who won't be made to do anything against his fundamental beliefs ,move onto the next cake shop. Not like they have banners in the windows

I think we should respect people's religious beliefs
They aren't going away any time soon and it starts fights that don't have to be fought
Comparing it to racism is silly
Just a Christian cake maker who won't be made to do anything against his fundamental beliefs ,move onto the next cake shop. Not like they have banners in the windows
Some of the analogies as comparisons on this thread have been absolutely ridiculous. Comparing what happened to racism being the more stupid of these.

It’s clearly discrimination, claiming they wouldn’t have done that for anyone is bollocks. How many straight people would ask for that?

What if it was a photo framing place who refused to frame photos of black people?

:lol: Class example that mate. Proper made me chuckle.

Some of the analogies as comparisons on this thread have been absolutely ridiculous. Comparing what happened to racism being the more stupid of these.
Perfectly legitimate comparison imo. Religion, sexual orientation, and ethnicity are all covered by the equality and diversity act.

And political beliefs as well, was a referendum going on at the time (I think).
The south had a referendum about a year later.

The NI assembly has voted on it a few times but there has never been a Northern Ireland referendum afaik.

Last edited:
Perfectly legitimate comparison imo. Religion, sexual orientation, and ethnicity are all covered by the equality and diversity act.

The south had a referendum about a year later.

The NI assembly has voted on it a few times but there has never been a Northern Ireland referendum afaik.
It was a political slogan they discriminated against not a person, that has been established. The compare was stupid and very inacurate.

Some common sense for once. As if you can be forced into putting a message on a cake. Let the gay fella pay the costs now or else send him to jail. You can’t have your cake and eat it.

Just wonder what the total financial cost of this utterly pointless exercise was. Anything that goes as far as the Supreme Court usually ends up costing a kings ransom.

£350,000 pounds according to the news report that I watched. Seems a lot of fuss over a £35 cake.

I agree with the decision. They were nt discriminating against the person who ordered the cake. They simply didn’t agree with the message on the cake and you can’t discriminate against a message.

It's nothing like a picture framing business refusing to frame a picture of black people. Now if they said fuck off we don't serve gays that would be discrimination, they would have made him a cake they just didn't want to make one that goes against their beliefs. Surely forcing people into making pro gay cakes when it goes against their religious views, no matter how f***ing backward they are is wrong as well. He should have just went to another shop that wasn't ran by religious f***ing idiots.
It’s very similar, a business refusing to do something because they don’t like it.

If they are willing to write support straight marriage then refusing to write support gay marriage is discrimination.

Race, religion, sexuality- they are all protected attributes in law.

Last edited:
It was a political slogan they discriminated against not a person, that has been established. The compare was stupid and very inacurate.
Fuck off with that man. This has dragged through the courts for 4 years it's ended up at the supreme court FFS. Multiple judges have said it was, multiple judges have said it wasn't. It's not stupid to compare the two at all.

Just thinking on the way home
Go in a tattoo parlour
Will you do this for me ?
No mate
Why ,just not my thing religious pieces (insert hundred other things )
You walk out ,end of

Agree completely , normally you would walk out but this confrontation was a deliberate set up by the gay activists , they knew they would get a reaction from the owners of the bakery and this would lead to the publicity they wanted to further the rights of the gay community.

I’d like to know who’s going to end up with the liability of the legal fees ?

Is it the gay rights activist backers or the individual who got on his high horse in the first place ?

Still think this could have all been averted if the baker had used his loaf and put a restrictive price or unrealistic delivery time on the job.

Agree completely , normally you would walk out but this confrontation was a deliberate set up by the gay activists , they knew they would get a reaction from the owners of the bakery and this would lead to the publicity they wanted to further the rights of the gay community.

I’d like to know who’s going to end up with the liability of the legal fees ?

Is it the gay rights activist backers or the individual who got on his high horse in the first place ?

Still think this could have all been averted if the baker had used his loaf and put a restrictive price or unrealistic delivery time on the job.
The gay bloke had used them before. He didn't go in with of the intention of spending 4 years in and out of court.

The baker had "used his loaf" and bumped up the price he would probably have ended up in court anyway. Using his loaf would have been refusing on the grounds of not using copyrighted imagery or having a policy where they don't put any political statements on their cakes.

Both gay and religious groups have jumped on to it and that's why it's ballooned up.

Baker could have done the cake, it certainly wouldn't be them supporting the cause. Gay customer could have gone elsewhere. Both sites have been daft imo.

Absolutly the correct decision. The fact its a gay person and a religious couple here blurs the argument. If I owned a bakers or printers and a gay man asked for "Child abuse is fun", a white fella asked for "Kill all black's" or a muslim asked for "ITV make quality programming" I would refuse all of them based on the message and not the race/religion/sexual orrientation of the person making the request.

Absolutly the correct decision. The fact its a gay person and a religious couple here blurs the argument. If I owned a bakers or printers and a gay man asked for "Child abuse is fun", a white fella asked for "Kill all black's" or a muslim asked for "ITV make quality programming" I would refuse all of them based on the message and not the race/religion/sexual orrientation of the person making the request.
It's more like refusing to make a bar mitzvah cake because you are a Christian and don't agree with Judaism then saying "it's not that they were Jewish, I wouldn't make a bar mitzvah cake for anyone".

If it's a Christian Bakers i.e. that's their demographic, making cakes for Christians, then you would suspect that if they are quite hardline bible bashers they won't accept gay marriage.
They'll happily make a cake for anyone but when it comes to being asked to express a view on a cake, I see why they wouldn't want to do it.

If however they're a bakers who happen to be Christian and the sell cakes to anyone, I can see why people are disgruntled they didn't follow the customer's order.
But where do you draw the line? Would you expect them to ice a cake with the slogan "Hitler was right"? I wonder if they would ice a cake to help someone get over the trauma of an abortion.

It's their business and if they don't want to do something, they don't have to do it. It's now up to the cake buying public as to whether or not they'll give them their custom after the way they dealt with this customer.

Gay Marriage is legal now, it's about time these radical Christians conformed to our beliefs, if not they can fuck off back to their own country.

If it's legal, which it is, you'd wonder why a "support gay marriage" cake was necessary.

It's more like refusing to make a bar mitzvah cake because you are a Christian and don't agree with Judaism then saying "it's not that they were Jewish, I wouldn't make a bar mitzvah cake for anyone".
No its not. Its about the message. I'm your standard non racist lefty who believes in gay rights, but if a gay man asked for a racist message on a cake I would refuse, as I would if a black man asked for a homophobic message. But do I have a problem serving Black or gay people - certainly not.

Back