Chris Maguire

Why? He doesn't score anymore and is far worse at passing the ball. I suppose he runs around more I'll give him that but he gets less of the ball and when he does get it he does less with it.

4 goals and 1 assist in 26 league games. Maguire has 4 goals and 5 assists in 30 league games despite being shite this season, he had 10 goals and 9 assists last season. O'Brien has never in his career scored 10 league goals in a season despite supposedly being more of a striker
I think O'Brien is excellent (relatively speaking) at pressing from the front which is exactly how Johnson wants to play. We win the ball higher up the pitch whether he plays and get McGeady involved and whichever other winger is playing quicker. Maguire is technically better but has far too many off days where he just doesn't look interested and doesn't do it. He doesn't work hard enough for how we play and we missed AOB at Peterborough imo.

I think O'Brien is excellent (relatively speaking) at pressing from the front which is exactly how Johnson wants to play. We win the ball higher up the pitch whether he plays and get McGeady involved and whichever other winger is playing quicker. Maguire is technically better but has far too many off days where he just doesn't look interested and doesn't do it. He doesn't work hard enough for how we play and we missed AOB at Peterborough imo.

I wish I could see what others do but I just can't. I'd love to say he's doing well but I just can't fathom out why folk think he is.

Since Johnson came (Wigan apart as he'd just walked through the door) we've scored 21 goals with him on the pitch in 1279 minutes and the same 21 goals when he isn't on the pitch but in far less (875) minutes.

I know there is more to it than that, the quality of opposition, scoreline when he's taken off, scoreline when he's come on etc etc but up to now we've done better with him off the park.

Also in that time since Johnson came he's started 15 games and we've got 28 points while in the 9 he hasn't started we've got 19 so not a lot in it but it's been better when he doesn't start.
Bollocks I've somehow missed a game out when adding those minutes played-not played. Still even if we had scored 3 in that game with him on (we won't have) it'd still be a much poorer ratio when he's on the pitch than off

Last edited:
I wish I could see what others do but I just can't. I'd love to say he's doing well but I just can't fathom out why folk think he is.

Since Johnson came (Wigan apart as he'd just walked through the door) we've scored 21 goals with him on the pitch in 1279 minutes and the same 21 goals when he isn't on the pitch but in far less (875) minutes.

I know there is more to it than that, the quality of opposition, scoreline when he's taken off, scoreline when he's come on etc etc but up to now we've done better with him off the park.

Also in that time since Johnson came he's started 15 games and we've got 28 points while in the 9 he hasn't started we've got 19 so not a lot in it but it's been better when he doesn't start.

You're right.

The other thing that gets thrown around is that he helps Wyke score more goals, even though it has been proven that Wyke scores more when O'Brien isn't in the team.

He's a weak link.

Bollocks I've somehow missed a game out when adding those minutes played-not played. Still even if we had scored 3 in that game with him on (we won't have) it'd still be a much poorer ratio when he's on the pitch than off
Yes

If it wasn't for crap finishing he'd have had 2 assists in the first half against Charlton. Not sure who set up Wyke when he went through on goal but if that was McGeady it would've been 3 assists.
I wasn't agreeing with the guy who said McGeady should be dropped, he's the best player in the league for me, by some distance. He should be the first name on the team sheet imo!

Better than Gooch

100%
He has plenty of ability but I'm not sure how he fits in the team. He is slow and needs time and space on the ball to make things happen, his best form for us was always when playing wide as he can create space against a full back but when playing central he gets marked out the game. But he isn't a traditional winger who'll beat his man and put crosses in which is exactly how we play now. He doesn't have the pace for it.

I would have him on the bench as a maverick option who can change games, but O'Brien is a better option playing off Wyke, Stewart is the big targetman option and whoever doesn't start out of Gooch and Jones is the ideal option to replace the other.

Stick Maguire on the right in front of McLaughlin imo

Last edited:
Obviously not rated by Lee Johnson, has good games and bad games which is probably why he is playing in league 1 but after Mcgeady has probably created or scored more goals than anyone the last few season. I think he’s done well coming off the bench since Johnson took over. On his day he is a potential match winner for us and we don’t have many of them. Should be getting more game time.
Should always be in the team before the likes of Gooch who create absolutely fuck all on a consistent basis

Back