Chris Maguire

He’s playing for the 23’s right now. Id say that anyone who’s ever watched him play for us should understand his worth, especially as an option from the bench. He’s a better footballer than O’Brien, Gooch, Scowen who all start ahead of him - he just doesn’t have the tank that they all do, and can’t press for 70-90 mins
he has more technical ability than those guys for sure,..but less fitness

Obviously not rated by Lee Johnson, has good games and bad games which is probably why he is playing in league 1 but after Mcgeady has probably created or scored more goals than anyone the last few season. I think he’s done well coming off the bench since Johnson took over. On his day he is a potential match winner for us and we don’t have many of them. Should be getting more game time.
One good game in about 5. Love Maguire me and has a goal in him, but with 7 games left not what we need IMO.

He has plenty of ability but I'm not sure how he fits in the team. He is slow and needs time and space on the ball to make things happen, his best form for us was always when playing wide as he can create space against a full back but when playing central he gets marked out the game. But he isn't a traditional winger who'll beat his man and put crosses in which is exactly how we play now. He doesn't have the pace for it.

I would have him on the bench as a maverick option who can change games, but O'Brien is a better option playing off Wyke, Stewart is the big targetman option and whoever doesn't start out of Gooch and Jones is the ideal option to replace the other.

My money is on there is no conspiracy and nothing to see here, it is purely a numbers game on bench, and that Gooch, O Brien, Jones, Diamond are all a better fit for the pressing game, and Stewart, McLaughlin, leadbetter, Remi are all needed as cover for other positions.

Maguire always seems like the classic under achiever. Yet, you look at his record of 100+ goals in 500+ games and you realise the lad has had some career. To get that many games in when he's only 32 he is clearly more professional than his reputation suggests. I would think very few fans would give him a new contract but overall he's been a good signing.

Maguire always seems like the classic under achiever. Yet, you look at his record of 100+ goals in 500+ games and you realise the lad has had some career. To get that many games in when he's only 32 he is clearly more professional than his reputation suggests. I would think very few fans would give him a new contract but overall he's been a good signing.
i think he is an under achiever relative to his ability..ie..he could have played the bulk of those 500 games in the championship and top end of the SPL if he a better attititude and mental fortitude..instead of league one..

Occasional fantastic goal, but pace and intensity of the game often overwhelms him when he comes on and he ends up giving away fouls.
Yes and I imagine his training performances are a bit like his warming up on the sidelines. Johnson wont like that and I dont blame him. If most of us had his ability we would have achieved more.

My money is on there is no conspiracy and nothing to see here, it is purely a numbers game on bench, and that Gooch, O Brien, Jones, Diamond are all a better fit for the pressing game, and Stewart, McLaughlin, leadbetter, Remi are all needed as cover for other positions.
O'brien offers the square root of fuck all.

Own worst enemy. Should have been Championship plus

Own worst enemy. Should have been Championship plus
I think that is true but there are players throughout the years who have more talent than Maguire who haven't made 10 professional appearances never mind the 500+ that he has made. I think he has under achieved to an extent but we maybe overplay that - 500 appearance and 100 goals in the SPL/Championship/League 1 plus a cap for his country ain't bad.

He has plenty of ability but I'm not sure how he fits in the team. He is slow and needs time and space on the ball to make things happen, his best form for us was always when playing wide as he can create space against a full back but when playing central he gets marked out the game. But he isn't a traditional winger who'll beat his man and put crosses in which is exactly how we play now. He doesn't have the pace for it.

I would have him on the bench as a maverick option who can change games, but O'Brien is a better option playing off Wyke, Stewart is the big targetman option and whoever doesn't start out of Gooch and Jones is the ideal option to replace the other.

Why? He doesn't score anymore and is far worse at passing the ball. I suppose he runs around more I'll give him that but he gets less of the ball and when he does get it he does less with it.
Aside from 6 goals including one match winner

4 goals and 1 assist in 26 league games. Maguire has 4 goals and 5 assists in 30 league games despite being shite this season, he had 10 goals and 9 assists last season. O'Brien has never in his career scored 10 league goals in a season despite supposedly being more of a striker

Last edited:
Why? He doesn't score anymore and is far worse at passing the ball. I suppose he runs around more I'll give him that but he gets less of the ball and when he does get it he does less with it.

4 goals and 1 assist in 26 league games. Maguire has 4 goals and 5 assists in 30 league games despite being shite this season, he had 10 goals and 9 assists last season. O'Brien has never in his career scored 10 league goals in a season despite supposedly being more of a striker
o brien and maguire play totally different roles and so are not the right comparison..unless the manager wants to change the formation drastically,,its not a choice between o brien and maguire..and maguire cant play the o brien role in the current formation..

On his day Maguire is very good, but when he's off form he's awful.

There doesn't appear to be any middle ground.

Managers like to know what they are going to get.

I suppose with lots of subs you could easily suss if he's underperforming and take him off once it's obvious today is not his day.

At this stage of the season we can't afford to carry him in one of his many "off" games, he shouldn't be starting.

That said, we rely on McGeady too much for flair and creativity, so Maguire should always be an option on the bench for us.

Back