Chris Maguire wanted to play in a good football team

Don't think he said owt wrong there. It must be horrendous playing Parky football and then to be frozen out by the new manager unable to prove yourself. Can't blame the lad really

If someone can get him fit and confident, he''l do well for you. He's a standout in league one when he's up for it. Lee Johnson ridiculously ignored him for most of our last dozen games or more, even from the bench and despite horrendous results and performances that saw our promotion hopes badly implode, but then what does he do in the play off semi at the SOL with you lot 2-0 up....he chooses Maguire to start the game. Utter madness. Whatever his perceived faults he was a far better player than several who regularly started ahead of him for us last season.
Criminally under used by LJ. I wasn’t one pushing for Maguire to start either. I think he’s a better impact sub. Gives everyone a lift, can create, carries a goal threat. But LJ knew best and started with that look at me 4 sub bollocks. Then when he got desperate he played him in the play off and went for a high tempo press which completely fucked Maguire.

Sour grapes from the lad. He could have contributed to it being a better team…… but in most games, he just didn’t.In a 90 minute match, he had about 30secs of brilliance in him….the rest of the time….well, most fans know!!

30 seconds more than most
Criminally under used by LJ. I wasn’t one pushing for Maguire to start either. I think he’s a better impact sub. Gives everyone a lift, can create, carries a goal threat. But LJ knew best and started with that look at me 4 sub bollocks. Then when he got desperate he played him in the play off and went for a high tempo press which completely fucked Maguire.

Maguire was fine in the second leg imo. That first half was the best I'd seen all season.

We've certainly lost someone who could create something out of nothing and was criminally underused in the last 10 games when we needed a spark.

Not the complete footballer by any means, and he could drift thru a game doing very little, but I wish him all the best and will no doubt score a worldie or two there....just don't let them be against us!
Having him coming on as sub always gave you a bit of a boost. I suspect he'll not play regularly as a starter mind.

Having him coming on as sub always gave you a bit of a boost. I suspect he'll not play regularly as a starter mind.

Who knows mate. If he feels wanted and they have a plan for him, it might just give him a new lease of life.

Theres a good possibility that we'll all be saying that we wish we'd kept him for another season if our squad remains to lack quality.

We’ve apparently got 5 sponsors that will each get several games each on the shirt.

Fans were allowed to buy it without any on which suits me 👍🏼

So long as he plays in the big promotion 6 pointers, I’ll be happy.

Permanent:
Teddy Bishop (Ipswich)
Hakeeb Adelakun (Bristol City)
Lasse Sorensen (Stoke City)
Chris Maguire (Sunderland)

Loan: (season long)
Lewis Fiorini (Man City)
Josh Griffiths (West Brom GK)
Dan Nlundulu (Southampton)

Squad size: 26 (ave age: 23yrs 7mths)
Looks promising. However, I wouldn't get too excited about Maguire. I think he's finished.

Don't know much about the ex Ipswich player.

The ex Bristol City player has been around a while hasn't he? Seems to be one of those mediocre players who has been around for several years and not done much. He's only played 30 times in the last 3 seasons.

Never none a more overhyped player in my time as a Sunderland fan. The “The King” shite was cringeworthy as fuck, glad the waste of a wage has fucked off and got his Sunday League attitude away from the club.

Which is why he signed for Lincoln City. That and he reckoned LJ didn’t like him.

This is true, Chris didn't want to leave but Johnson gave him no choice.
Totally agree he has wasted his talent, should have played higher but likes partying more than football it seems.
not in my experience

Last edited:
Whether people are pro or against McGuire there’s simply no excuse all things being equal for a professional footballer not being fit.
I’m not talking about match fit which is obviously another layer on top of your general fitness and means a players fitness fades the longer a game goes on.
In his case when he was blowing out of his arse after half and hour it means he just wasn’t fuckin fit, which was his responsibility.
So whatever the arguments about him he simply has no credibility,

Personally I'd have kept him on for another year but can see why they didn't. Oh and that Lincoln strip in the article would make a good sunderland strip.

Back