Chris Froome

I thought that like. Was thinking why would you get into cycling if you suffer asthma

Quite an interesting explanation on the BBC article.

Why do so many elite athletes have asthma?
Analysis - Philippa Roxby, BBC health reporter

Top athletes are more likely to have asthma than the general population.

This is down to the large volumes of air they breathe in through their mouths when exercising at high intensity over long periods of time.

When the air is cold and dry, this can trigger asthma-related symptoms such as wheezing, shortness of breath and tightness in the chest, also known as exercise-induced asthma. Cyclists are particularly at risk because of the high aerobic element of the sport. Air pollution getting into the airways out on the road can also be a trigger.

Research suggests that about 35-40% of British Olympic cyclists use an inhaler, compared with 21% of the Olympic team as a whole and 9% of the general population.

If asthma is already diagnosed in elite athletes, then intensive exercise can make it worse - but if it is properly treated, the condition should not prove a disadvantage.

This is down to the large volumes of air they breathe in through their mouths when exercising at high intensity over long periods of time.

When the air is cold and dry, this can trigger asthma-related symptoms such as wheezing, shortness of breath and tightness in the chest, also known as exercise-induced asthma. Cyclists are particularly at risk because of the high aerobic element of the sport. Air pollution getting into the airways out on the road can also be a trigger.

Research suggests that about 35-40% of British Olympic cyclists use an inhaler, compared with 21% of the Olympic team as a whole and 9% of the general population.

If asthma is already diagnosed in elite athletes, then intensive exercise can make it worse - but if it is properly treated, the condition should not prove a disadvantage.
Of course treating it properly means massive amounts of steroids!!
Great post though explains a lot.

The bit underlined needs compared to the Olympic cyclists in other countries. Are we higher?

Aye there's a grifter but ya can only use it downhill,

I've always assumed that at the high level of competitive sport there is people in labs inventing ways around the doping rules?

But if you by chance go uphill and your chest tightens a bit then there's 'special medicine' we can give you.

But if you by chance go uphill and your chest tightens a bit then there's 'special medicine' we can give you.
come to think of it maybe that's why me mar could carry so much shopping? And smoke like a trooper.
But if you have had or develop asthma in the forces your a gonna. Well it was 15 year ago.

Coral have now suspended their market for next year’s Tour but I got in last night and piled on these whilst Froome was still odds on :lol:

Quitnana 7/1
Nibali 20/1
Bardet 25/1

I'd be massively surprised if he's not at next year tour( even if he does get some small sanction) so those are big odds you've bagged .

Why not Porte ;)

I wouldn't dare stick a big bet on in case he got banned. Bit like Bitcoin I suppose, I'm not one for gambling despite my quite spectacular rendition of the Kenny Rogers song.

I'd be massively surprised if he's not at next year tour( even if he does get some small sanction) so those are big odds you've bagged .

Why not Porte ;)

IMO his best case scenario is he rocks up at the Tour undercooked after a 6-9 month ban, too scared too tuch any inhalers or medication and with the whole of France dishing out abuse. I don’t see him winning another Tour after this

Back