Choosing a secondary school

I've had my son christened Catholic (wife's Catholic) so he has options when he's old enough. He'll go to a Catholic primary.
Pretty much the same here, although I couldn't give a shit, it was our lass who wanted it done. Partly for her family, partly to give him in a better chance of getting in the Catholic primary nearby. I'm not sure how high up the list of importance it is though, they had a really nice time making ramadan cards for one of the kids in his class.
It’s baptised, not christened. FWIW, practicing catholics take offence at people like you doing what you do.
Practicing Catholics take offence at a lot of things.

Last edited:

Pretty much the same here, although I couldn't give a shit, it was our lass who wanted it done to give him in a better chance of getting in the Catholic primary nearby. I'm not sure how high up the list of importance it is though, they had a really nice time making ramadan cards for one of the kids in his class.

Practicing catholics take offence at a lot of things.

Your remark about the Ramadan cards says it all about you :lol:

It’s baptised, not christened. FWIW, practicing catholics take offence at people like you doing what you do.
My wife is a practicing Catholic from a big Catholic family up in Scotland. She went to a Catholic school and wants the same for our son.

Also, as someone else has pointed out, the choice of non-catholic schools in Sunderland is actually shocking. We're both teachers and know the craic with schools, hence why we had him 'baptised' Catholic. It really is a no brainer. So i don't think practicing Catholics should take too much offence to that at all.
Pretty much the same here, although I couldn't give a shit, it was our lass who wanted it done. Partly for her family, partly to give him in a better chance of getting in the Catholic primary nearby. I'm not sure how high up the list of importance it is though, they had a really nice time making ramadan cards for one of the kids in his class.
I'm not Catholic myself but my wife is. I think when you look at the choice of non-catholic schools in Sunderland it really is a no brainer.

Last edited:
My wife is a practicing Catholic from a big Catholic family up in Scotland. She went to a Catholic school and wants the same for our son.

Also, as someone else has pointed out, the choice of non-catholic schools in Sunderland is actually shocking. We're both teachers and know the craic with schools, hence why we had him 'baptised' Catholic. It really is a no brainer. So i don't think practicing Catholics should take too much offence to that at all.

I'm not Catholic myself but my wife is. I think when you look at the choice of non-catholic schools in Sunderland it really is a no brainer.

Having gone through Catholic schools myself I made sure my kids were nowhere near them for their education

The choice of secondary schools in and around Sunderland is actually shocking, appalling. At least for anyone who isn't Catholic anyway.

Currently weighing up whether it's worth shelling out a fortune to move next door to Durham Johnston and try to commute back over this way, or save the money and use it for private school when they get to secondary age, which would still involve a lengthy trip to the school.
Fantastic school! Probably one of if not the best in the north east.

This is a disgusting attitude to have, and from a teacher. No the wonder the education system is the way it is if the staff are as cynical as you. Your negativity would rub off on the rest of the staff and pupils you teach.

Tell me what school you teach at so I can make sure my kids don’t end up there.

This is a disgusting attitude to have, and from a teacher. No the wonder the education system is the way it is if the staff are as cynical as you. Your negativity would rub off on the rest of the staff and pupils you teach.

Tell me what school you teach at so I can make sure my kids don’t end up there.
Disgusting attitude? Negativity? All because I won't send my son to monkwearmouth?

If you had bothered to read my previous message you will see my first choice (based on current performance) is actually a non-catholic school.

Last edited:
None Catholic’s taking up spaces at Catholic schools boils my piss tbh
Why? If they have room to accomodate pupils from other faiths, then why not? Catholic's obviously have priority for spaces.

St Anthonys and St Aidans both came to my daughter's non-Catholic primary before the summer holidays to promote their schools to us parents, so they certainly don't have an issue with it.

Disgusting attitude? Negativity? All because I won't send my son to monkwearmouth?

If you had bothered to read my previous message you will see my first choice (based on current performance) is actually a non-catholic school.

I think the negativity is more focused on your lack of basic knowledge of Catholicism as a teacher.

Your attitude is the sum total of all your messages not just one.

Every non-catholic school in Sunderland is shocking? That’s a bold claim to make when I’m sure there are some amazing students being taught by some amazing teachers at some outstanding schools.

You’re coming across as a bitter and twisted, cynical teacher trapped in a job you dislike and want out of and not a concerned parent.

Your son will go far with you as a role model.

If she is a practicing Catholic there is no offence to take. You then oddly loop it back in with school selection though which suggests you wouldn’t have had him/her baptised if there was a good non catholic school option for you. Which is back into the where people take offence category.

If she is a practicing Catholic there is no offence to take. You then oddly loop it back in with school selection though which suggests you wouldn’t have had him/her baptised if there was a good non catholic school option for you. Which is back into the where people take offence category.

If you get married in a Catholic church, you have to commit to your children being raised as Catholics.

That’s true. He said he isn’t a catholic though so most likely wasn’t married in a Catholic Church. Boring topic anyway I’m out!
He said his wife and her family are all practising Catholics though so I would've thought they would've pulled rank over the wedding.

Do you believe you should choose the best possible school to give your child the best possible chance (even if it involves moving house or changing religion)? Do you go with the school that’s most convenient? Or do you ask the child and let them go where their friends are going?
Long story short: son is at a poor school (monkwearmouth) but it’s convenient (walking distance)
Daughter’s got to choose now, and all her friends parents have chosen a ‘better’ school (Whitburn) but it’s a bus ride away. Some have even chosen the catholic school (St Anthony’s)
I’d rather she went to the convenient one as it makes everyone’s life easier. I also believe cream rises to the top and bright kids (she is) will prosper at any school, so I’m not that concerned about her prospects. But if it was me I’d hate to be separated from my friends (although I know you make new friends right away at a new school).

Dilemma.....

How did you choose?

We’ve had same issue. Boy is in Fulwell so due to go to monkearmouth but all the shit that’s gone on has scared the wife and loads of other parents.
I’m with you, it’s convenient and he’s a good student (can be a twat with us like!) so should do well at any school. He actually got himself upset saying he wanted to go to Whitburn for a better education but obviously wants to be with his mates. Final decision was monkwearmouth hoping the school has had the kick up the arse it needs and improves.

In my street alone 2 kids have left Fulwell juniors for boldon as it’s a feeder school for Whitburn and another has just been christened so she can get in St Anthony’s!!

Think I preferred when you didn’t have a choice.

Your attitude is the sum total of all your messages not just one.

Every non-catholic school in Sunderland is shocking? That’s a bold claim to make when I’m sure there are some amazing students being taught by some amazing teachers at some outstanding schools.

You’re coming across as a bitter and twisted, cynical teacher trapped in a job you dislike and want out of and not a concerned parent.

Your son will go far with you as a role model.
Again if you had bothered to read the post properly you will see I said the ‘choice’ is shocking, not ‘all' are shocking. So you are just twisting my words to suit your own aggressive attitude. My point about the ‘choice’ is supported by the league tables and Ofsted ratings All schools and colleges in Sunderland - GOV.UK - Find and compare schools in England

Sunderland as a whole doesn’t do very well in terms of results in comparison to other areas, both in the north east and nationally. The only two non- Catholic secondary schools in Sunderland rated good or above by Ofsted are Castle View and Southmoor (which is probably the best current non-Catholic). Not one secondary Catholic school is lower than good. The Catholic schools in Sunderland have historically nearly always performed better than non-Catholic schools.

I do agree with your point about there being some outstanding students and teachers in those schools. Also you said 'some' outstanding schools. There is actually only one in Sunderland which is outstanding.

I actually think you’re the one who’s coming across bitter and twisted for feeling the need to attack my personality traits behind your screen when you know nothing about me. Maybe reading this thread has made you realise you’re the one who’s made some poor choices for your own kids education. Maybe you’re the one who’s stuck in a dead end job you dislike and you feel the need to take it out on me just because I won’t send my son to Monkwearmouth.
Ok I'll hold my hands up on this one. Maybe I shouldn't have worded it as if he was going to be baptised Catholic for the sole purpose of going to a Catholic school. As my wife is a practicing Catholic and we were married in a Catholic church, he was always going to be baptised Catholic regardless.
If you get married in a Catholic church, you have to commit to your children being raised as Catholics.
Correct and we were married in a Catholic church.

Last edited:
It’s true though mate .Any young lad worth his salt should be going mad with the bugle at Comprehensive age not concentrating on his work .
Take the lasses out the environment and it’s a temptation out the way.

Do you work with birds ?Personally I’d find it a distraction working with chicks as I’d be trying to pull them rather than doing any graft.

You have a good point, The lad went mental for lasses in his first 2 years at comp, had one after the other, was texting them constantly and getting a fair few negative points for showing off. He appears to have seen the errors of his ways and now spends every spare minute on his bmx or stunt scooter with his mates and his behaviour has improved massively.
My daughter’s main reasons for putting St Anthony’s as first choice was she knows it’s a good school and the lads in her class put her off going to a mixed school because they apparently go on like idiots so she wants to be away from them.

I dare say she’ll change her mind in a year or two but tough shit, it’ll be too late by then 👍

Back