Chinese rocket out of control reet now. Expected to hit earth in....

"Satellite" doesn't just mean the little "Sputnik" things that burn up, it's anything in orbit. The moon is a satellite of Earth (well, technically the moon and Earth both orbit a mutual rotation point that happens to be a little below Earth's surface as oppose to the moon specifically orbiting Earth but for the sake of brevity let's ignore that for now).

Entire space stations are among the space junk that falls to earth all the time.

To be fair, I only found out about it when I saw an episode of The West Wing where one of the staff of The Whitehouse was freaking out at seeing a fax from Nasa about a Chinese Satellite that is falling to Earth while the rest of the staff are secretly laughing at her behind her back because they all know that they receive similar faxes from NASA on a weekly basis.

I expect the next few weeks will be business as usual for any analysts working for a space agency and that this will barely even draw their attention.

Well yes, that's true but I don't see the moon falling to earth anytime soon or a space station (they go through a controlled de-orbit) :lol:
I expect the next few weeks will be business as usual for any analysts working for a space agency and that this will barely even draw their attention.

Different analysts for different things and I'd imagine some of them will be tense.

Last edited:

Latest guesstimate is “the pacific”. Pearl Harbour would be some crack. That’s Pearl Harbour in Honolulu not the one in Ryhope for NE panic avoidance measures.

Wonder if the insurance would pay out if it landed on the SOL . Would be just our luck

Well yes, that's true but I don't see the moon falling to earth anytime soon or a space station (they go through a controlled de-orbit) :lol:

Different analysts for different things and I'd imagine some of them will be tense.

That's true (although even that won't necessarily stop things spraying all over the place, like happened with Skylab for example), but it's not just one end of the scale or the other, there are a lot of objects in between the size of an old mini-satellite and that of the ISS that fall out of the sky all the time. This particular rocket isn't a special case by any means. There are plenty of larger objects falling out of orbit back to Earth regularly.

That's true (although even that won't necessarily stop things spraying all over the place, like happened with Skylab for example), but it's not just one end of the scale or the other, there are a lot of objects in between the size of an old mini-satellite and that of the ISS that fall out of the sky all the time. This particular rocket isn't a special case by any means. There are plenty of larger objects falling out of orbit back to Earth regularly.

What makes it "special" is where it will fall and who sent it up. Imagine it lands in a significantly populated area or on some infrastructure that causes lasting damage... the pressure which already exists will build further. Not content with releasing a virus upon the world they've now taken to launching dumb rockets into space that come back down in an adversaries territory.

Do you know exactly what it's payload was?

What makes it "special" is where it will fall and who sent it up. Imagine it lands in a significantly populated area or on some infrastructure that causes lasting damage... the pressure which already exists will build further. Not content with releasing a virus upon the world they've now taken to launching dumb rockets into space that come back down in an adversaries territory.

Do you know exactly what it's payload was?

The vast majority of stuff falling to Earth isn't guided down to safety. And plenty of it belongs to the Chinese. And the Russians. It's a non-story, man. :D

Latest guesstimate is “the pacific”. Pearl Harbour would be some crack. That’s Pearl Harbour in Honolulu not the one in Ryhope for NE panic avoidance measures.
We could update the classic joke quiz question.

- “What USA state begins with P and ends with R.”
- “Dunno. What?”
- “Pear Harbour”
- “Pear Harbour’s not a state is it?”
- “It was when the Chinese were finished with it - ho ho!”

Are you saying you believe covid was China's fault?

I certainly think there are questions regarding their (CCP) biosecurity practices, yes. Do you think biochemical weapons should be handled with bare hands?

Also, I wasn't aware but did you know that since "since 1990 nothing over 10 tonnes has been deliberately left in orbit to re-enter uncontrolled. The Long March 5B core stage is thought to be about 21 tonnes."
"Based on its current orbit the rocket is passing over Earth as far north as New York, Madrid and Beijing and as far south as southern Chile and Wellington, New Zealand, and could make its re-entry at any point within this area."

How convenient, out of control rocket lands on the NYSE decimating the world economy within seconds :lol:

Last edited:

Back