Chilli Con Carne

That's like saying it's chips & egg not egg & chips.

It's still meat with chilli whichever way you label it.

I know. He keeps repeating it as well. Ah, apparently chilli con carne is Tex-Mex and made with minced beef and has the beans included whereas carne con chile is made with chunks of meat (beef or pork, take your pick) and the beans are served separately...

Put half a can of some cheap craft beer I had in tonight's effort with some "borlotti" beans and a few spoonfuls of "three peaks" chili jam (very hot). First time putting beer in it and probably the best chili I've ever made.

Put half a can of some cheap craft beer I had in tonight's effort with some "borlotti" beans and a few spoonfuls of "three peaks" chili jam (very hot). First time putting beer in it and probably the best chili I've ever made.
Could be the way forward, I will give it a shot as well

My current stash.

Logon or register to see this image

They look class Wilfy, how much did you pay for the stash if you don't mind me asking. I'm using dried chipotle flakes in my chilli atm, a new addition to what was normal hot powder and dried birds eye chillis. The taste is 100 times better with the chipotle.
It must be superb when you use a full pepper, would love to try one with the whole ancho, pasialla amd a chipotle and a kg of steak. No tomato, just cooked down with cumin and Mexican oregano, a kind of diy Tex / Mex chilli.

I got them from eBay, do t know how the cost compares to their site. Will buy again from them.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Mexica...014646?varId=420022547425&txnId=1858675256002

Should have read ahead, £13 for all that goodness. I'm off to buy myself it as a boxing day tea time treat, will post back pictures come the time of making.

Ah balls man, they are out of stock. That's a kick in the nuts at 4am, might go back to bed and sob for a bit now, I'm guessing it was more than £13 for the box like, that was the cheapest price.

Last edited:
Logon or register to see this image
Chipotles in adobe sauce, give great depth to the flavour of a chilli. One of 7 types of chilli im trying to gather to make a recipe i have in a book i got last christmas. This thread has spurred me on to get it made.

Last edited:
They look class Wilfy, how much did you pay for the stash if you don't mind me asking. I'm using dried chipotle flakes in my chilli atm, a new addition to what was normal hot powder and dried birds eye chillis. The taste is 100 times better with the chipotle.
It must be superb when you use a full pepper, would love to try one with the whole ancho, pasialla amd a chipotle and a kg of steak. No tomato, just cooked down with cumin and Mexican oregano, a kind of diy Tex / Mex chilli.

Should have read ahead, £13 for all that goodness. I'm off to buy myself it as a boxing day tea time treat, will post back pictures come the time of making.

Ah balls man, they are out of stock. That's a kick in the nuts at 4am, might go back to bed and sob for a bit now, I'm guessing it was more than £13 for the box like, that was the cheapest price.
I got the £31 box I think.

Personally I think chilli , like curry tastes better made and left a day to develop

Yes, correct, let the flavours infuse.

I normally ensure that I am away from the gaff in the event of a need for a ‘Donald’ after a strong chilli.

Tends to spread a bit at the muzzle and can have a big footprint.

Back