Chilli Con Carne

I have never in my life made a chili con carne and rarely eat it however I had a cracking on the other week and so bought the mince and kidney beans yesterday. Don't think I have enough cumin (or any paprika) to make it today and nearly all of the shops are closed here on Sunday. Maybe it gets made today, maybe tomorrow.

I really like Hestons spiced butter that he adds to his chilli. English mustard powder, marmite and star anise really lift the chilli.

No: Minced meat, beans, onions or tomatoes under any circumstances.

Use: Beef in cubes, peppers, garlic, beer

Serve with: Salsa camole, raw onions, grated cheese, sour cream, pickled jalapenos, cornbread, beer and/or margeritas

Music: Hank Williams will help you get the correct chili-perspective on life and being
Yes the peasant areas of mexico from whence the dish came will surely agree with you

Yes the peasant areas of mexico from whence the dish came will surely agree with you
I think it came from America, but maybe it remains debatable.
http://www.nationalchiliday.com/chili-history.html#.Wb5KNTbTVSB

My personal recipe
Lean mince beef
Onions
Tin tomatoes and red kidney beans
Packet of hot chili mix OR if you prefer chili powder/ sauce at a scovile scale that suits. I currently have some at 350,000 but I'm a bit wary of using it :eek:.

Brown mince.
Move to one side heat sliced onions till clear
Add and mix in remaining ingredients
Cook for 20 mins ish
If a tad dry add milk and cocoa powder( just a little of each).
Serve on a bed of rice.

Works in a slow cooker too .

I think it came from America, but maybe it remains debatable.
http://www.nationalchiliday.com/chili-history.html#.Wb5KNTbTVSB

My personal recipe
Lean mince beef
Onions
Tin tomatoes and red kidney beans
Packet of hot chili mix OR if you prefer chili powder/ sauce at a scovile scale that suits. I currently have some at 350,000 but I'm a bit wary of using it :eek:.

Brown mince.
Move to one side heat sliced onions till clear
Add and mix in remaining ingredients
Cook for 20 mins ish
If a tad dry add milk and cocoa powder( just a little of each).
Serve on a bed of rice.

Works in a slow cooker too .
Slow cooker chilli is a game changer!

Melts the mince

Back