Child bat advice needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bairn has just started playing for our local under 13's team, it's his first match this weekend so i was going to get him a good bat as a treat. he's only 12 and not very big so do i need to get him a six 6 bat or a harrow size?

My youngest (9) started playing earlier in the season for under 11s.

Lorimers at Bishop aickland sorted her out with all gear. We're spot on

The bairn has just started playing for our local under 13's team, it's his first match this weekend so i was going to get him a good bat as a treat. he's only 12 and not very big so do i need to get him a six 6 bat or a harrow size?
you`ll get reported if you give the bairn a good bat mind

i'll have a drive down tomorrow, canny excited that he's getting into cricket like. We were at Durham for the T20 last friday and he loved it.

From memory its pretty simple. You take him to a sports shop (Lorimers beings official suppliers of DCCC merchandise) and the lad simply picks up a range of bats and practices a few shots with them. He will then tell you which bat he prefers and go on to use that brand of bat for a life time. The most important point is he selects the bat based on weight and pick up felt through his own hands.

Both those sizes might be too big. Have a look at this size guide but as the above post says get him to pick a few up. He will need one light enough to be able to swing about without much difficulty.

My lad is 14 nearly 15, small though for his age only about 5ft 3 and using a size 6 at the mo.

https://www.talentcricket.co.uk/pages/general-services.html

Dont worry about knocking it in. Does it have a plastic face on? If so that will do the job of holding everything together if there are any minor surface cracks. Modern bats are knocked in already to an extent. Knocking it in is supposed to toughen the bat up gently, to prevent damage against quick bowlers with a new ball. Under 13 bowlers with a smaller ball, unlikely to be very new, shouldn't cause any problem.

Do you still have to knock modern bats in? Just used to give my old school bats a few belts of the ball/mallet and a few soft taps with a ball and the edges were good to go. Always made sure the oil hole, in the toe of the bat, was topped up. Don't have to do that with these new bats, apparently.

Do you still have to knock modern bats in? Just used to give my old school bats a few belts of the ball/mallet and a few soft taps with a ball and the edges were good to go. Always made sure the oil hole, in the toe of the bat, was topped up. Don't have to do that with these new bats, apparently.
Definately, if you want the bat to last. Knocking it in toughens the face and improves the ping of the ball off the bat. No more than a few hours though.

Second paragraph down on this page.

http://www.itsjustcricket.co.uk/bat-care-knocking-in-service-i37

You risk cracking a bat that's not properly knocked in.

I don't think modern bats need knocking in too much. The old fellas used to roll them with a stump, to try and tighten the grain, but that is all taken care of during manufacture now.

When I was younger I used to knock bats in, and they used to last a season or 2. My latest bat has been going 3 years with a plastic face on and no knocking in.

I actually think the key to longevity is the ball you play against, and the pace of bowling. A new ball from a quick bowler is going to damage a bat. If you bat 6 in the 3rd team your bat could feasibly last 10+ years.

I don't think modern bats need knocking in too much. The old fellas used to roll them with a stump, to try and tighten the grain, but that is all taken care of during manufacture now.

When I was younger I used to knock bats in, and they used to last a season or 2. My latest bat has been going 3 years with a plastic face on and no knocking in.

I actually think the key to longevity is the ball you play against, and the pace of bowling. A new ball from a quick bowler is going to damage a bat. If you bat 6 in the 3rd team your bat could feasibly last 10+ years.
Think it depends on the bat too. You can ask for them to be pressed but I think some of the more bespoke bats come a bit more raw and leave it for you to do . My lads use millichamps and I have always knocked them in
Stuff like grey Nichols are probably factory pressed as matter of course.

Think it depends on the bat too. You can ask for them to be pressed but I think some of the more bespoke bats come a bit more raw and leave it for you to do . My lads use millichamps and I have always knocked them in
Stuff like grey Nichols are probably factory pressed as matter of course.

ALL bats are pressed - some of the pros bats are pressed a bit lighter as they want them to be top performing from get go. Normal bog standard bats are pressed that little bit harder to they last a bit better.

Pressing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back