Chilblains

I used to get them all the time when I was younger. Almost crippled with them some winters. Strangely, not so much now. Either that or the other ailments I have now take over everything else.

Yes, chilblains still exist. Mine are brought on by my feet being cold or wet for longer periods. Painfull as hell. Like hot needles being stuck into my toes.
A winter thing. Chilblain cream helps, but doesn't cure mine, eases the pain a bit. Was always terrified someone would step on my toes when out. Just had the one this winter, but on my bunion, which makes it worse. Worse pain than childbirth (iirc) if someone steps on you toes.

Are they still a thing? Used to be something that people complained of all the time, but hardly ever hear them mentioned now
Was discussing this recently. I suffered from them terribly as a kid, my Mam claiming it was from me warming my feet on the radiator rather than ill fitting sodding wet shoes.
Wouldn't be surprised if the regular wearing of trainers by youngs uns has helped eradicate them.

Having said that, I now have gout, osteoarthritis and full on wonky feet* so I'm in constant pain.

*Unsure if this is the actual medical term.

I was told it was caused from coming in from the cold then putting your hands (or feet) too close to the fire / warming them up too quickly.

Less prevalent now that most houses have central heating so you don't have to stand in front of a direct, concentrated heat source.

I was told it was caused from coming in from the cold then putting your hands (or feet) too close to the fire / warming them up too quickly.

Less prevalent now that most houses have central heating so you don't have to stand in front of a direct, concentrated heat source.

that's what my mother said it was too

we'd straddle the heaters and she'd give us hell for it

Are they still a thing? Used to be something that people complained of all the time, but hardly ever hear them mentioned now

I recall my gran warning me of those when I'd come in from the cold into the warm house.

Never suffered from them iirc. Same as 'growing pains', probably just a load of old shite.

remember my mother sending my brother to school with potato peel in bags over his hands for chillblains

he got the shit kicked out of him

:lol::lol:

Back