Chicken keepers of the SMB

nope - I have 4 cats to take care of the rats...
had 12 hens at one point - down to 3 now... had all sorts in the past - various breeds, standard RIRs and ex-battery hens...
Love em. Cannit beat a good fresh poached egg of a morning. Been a steep learning curve mind. I've had to learn to deal with all sorts of ailments and emergencies including prolapses, eggbound, peritonitis and in one case, despatch !! (I cried while doing it)

Farm next to us has plenty.
Foxes the biggest challenge. In our garden every night which sets off the Half Labrador half Lion.

My mam used to keep them.

One of them was absolutely mint, if you went and sat on the wall it would jump up and sit next to you. Obviously looking for food and that but it was still great how tame she was.

Surprisingly they’re also vicious as fuck when it comes to cats. If you want cats to stop shitting in your garden get a few hens!
I reckon my Cat could take a Chicken mind :lol:.

nope - I have 4 cats to take care of the rats...
had 12 hens at one point - down to 3 now... had all sorts in the past - various breeds, standard RIRs and ex-battery hens...
Love em. Cannit beat a good fresh poached egg of a morning. Been a steep learning curve mind. I've had to learn to deal with all sorts of ailments and emergencies including prolapses, eggbound, peritonitis and in one case, despatch !! (I cried while doing it)
At the moment I've got various...

Bluebell
Copper Black Maran
Legbar
Poland
Red Sussex
Cheshire Blue

Back