Chicago

Going to Chicago for a week in August for the first time and was wondering if anyone had any tips, hints, recommendations of things to do, places to go/ see/ avoid and places to eat etc? Staying on Magnificent Mile. Got a few of the obvious touristy things pencilled in but I’m assuming there’ll be a few people on here who will have been before and might be able to offer some more advice beyond that. Cheers.
For no circumstance whatsoever, no matter what, do not go to south Chicago. I mean it. I don't care if zombies are invading, do not go to south Chicago.

I haven't been to Chicago in eons. I have a lot of family there as that's where my dad is from.

My son goes there often to visit and he absolutely he loves it there.

It’s a bit windy iirc
:lol:

it's really not:lol:

For no circumstance whatsoever, no matter what, do not go to south Chicago. I mean it. I don't care if zombies are invading, do not go to south Chicago.

I haven't been to Chicago in eons. I have a lot of family there as that's where my dad is from.

My son goes there often to visit and he absolutely he loves it there.

:lol:

it's really not:lol:

How far south of The Loop is considered south Chicago? I’ve done a neighbourhood tour a few years ago that went as far south as Hyde Park and through the likes of Bronzeville and Kenwood, didn’t stop and get off but it was interesting seeing some of the neighbourhoods and how ordinary people live away from the glitz of the city centre with their rocking chairs on the front porches. We went past one of Obama’s houses supposedly, couldn’t see much like behind the massive walls.

Was back in Chicago in September/October gone and tried to find details for the same tour but we didn’t manage to find anything so I don’t if they’ve stopped doing them with the shootings situation in some of its neighbourhoods. We got the metro between the airport and the city centre and felt perfectly safe, I did look into it before like to make sure and they reckon the blue line is no bother at all - though I still wouldn’t fancy being stranded at one of the stations in the middle of nowhere in between the city centre and airport as a white English lad.

How far south of The Loop is considered south Chicago? I’ve done a neighbourhood tour a few years ago that went as far south as Hyde Park and through the likes of Bronzeville and Kenwood, didn’t stop and get off but it was interesting seeing some of the neighbourhoods and how ordinary people live away from the glitz of the city centre with their rocking chairs on the front porches. We went past one of Obama’s houses supposedly, couldn’t see much like behind the massive walls.

Was back in Chicago in September/October gone and tried to find details for the same tour but we didn’t manage to find anything so I don’t if they’ve stopped doing them with the shootings situation in some of its neighbourhoods. We got the metro between the airport and the city centre and felt perfectly safe, I did look into it before like to make sure and they reckon the blue line is no bother at all - though I still wouldn’t fancy being stranded at one of the stations in the middle of nowhere in between the city centre and airport as a white English lad.
It's tough to pin point an area as there are rough neighborhoods everywhere. I have cousins who live in parts of south Chicago who think the whole bad schtick that the area gets is a load of bullshit. My suggestion is to research first and see what the neighborhood is like prior to going.

And race does play a part, sadly. If I were white, there are certain areas even in Los Angeles that I wouldn't go. Then again, there are certain areas in Los Angeles that I refuse to go to because I'm not White.

Going to Chicago for a week in August for the first time and was wondering if anyone had any tips, hints, recommendations of things to do, places to go/ see/ avoid and places to eat etc? Staying on Magnificent Mile. Got a few of the obvious touristy things pencilled in but I’m assuming there’ll be a few people on here who will have been before and might be able to offer some more advice beyond that. Cheers.
Watch out for men carrying violin cases..

It's tough to pin point an area as there are rough neighborhoods everywhere. I have cousins who live in parts of south Chicago who think the whole bad schtick that the area gets is a load of bullshit. My suggestion is to research first and see what the neighborhood is like prior to going.

And race does play a part, sadly. If I were white, there are certain areas even in Los Angeles that I wouldn't go. Then again, there are certain areas in Los Angeles that I refuse to go to because I'm not White.
I go there every month and work at the University of Chicago Hospital which is some way south of the city. The neighbourhood around is a bit rundown but that’s often the case with city/university hospitals as the land was donated years ago cos it was cheap. Anyway I never feel any edge when I’m walking around there.
The city Centre around Michigan Avenue is nice, like a slow paced Manhattan, and it’s mental when you turn the corner and you’re on the beach in the middle of the continent! Sand, deck chairs, ice creams the works.

Back