Chicago

The Underdog

Central Defender
Going to Chicago for a week in August for the first time and was wondering if anyone had any tips, hints, recommendations of things to do, places to go/ see/ avoid and places to eat etc? Staying on Magnificent Mile. Got a few of the obvious touristy things pencilled in but I’m assuming there’ll be a few people on here who will have been before and might be able to offer some more advice beyond that. Cheers.

Caught a connecting flight from there on the opening day of the OJ Simpson trial. I was thinking maybe Richard Dreyfus could play me in the fillum. OJ could be himself.

On topic, keep away from people with guns.

Oak Street beach is nice with the lake to swim in as well and quite surreal having a beach in a city centre with massive skyscrapers behind you, there’s a pop up bar there between May to September so handy for a few relaxing beers. If you fancy drinks in a lively area it’s canny up on W Division St with a little strip of decent bars and you can walk it from Magnificent Mile.

Instead of 'No dogs allowed' signs on restaurants they have 'No guns allowed'. I remember being a bit shocked at that. I'd recommend taking a boat tour as the city is pretty much surrounded by water. The one I took took us down/up the Chicago River and then onto Lake Michigan for a wee bit. I'll never forget how blue the water was.

Back