Chester-le-Street

Owen Brothers, Kingston Studios, Hamiltons Motorbikes, Disque Records,
Archibalds,Bells Newsagents, Robinsons (Arcade),Woolworths,Laws Stores,Broughs/Liptons,Spoors,Sewell &Andrews Barbers,Lumley Bakery,The Co-op, and a Friday Market which stretched from where Tesco is now to the main road.

The past is a foreign country as they say.:cry:
you got me thinking, remember Leggets, little wooden tobaconists close to Red Lion, also the wet fish shop that always stunk opposite and up a bit from Rosies, was later a 2nd hand shop.

you got me thinking, remember Leggets, little wooden tobaconists close to Red Lion, also the wet fish shop that always stunk opposite and up a bit from Rosies, was later a 2nd hand shop.

Leggets was there until the early 80s and closed around about the time the Red Lion was transformed.Was then briefly a sports shop and has been We're No Angels Hairdressers since.

That fish shop was OK in the 70s but was taken over later on and if you walked past there on a warm day you would feel like hoying up at the smell.
There was another one on the other side down from where Santander is now which had a better reputation ...Brookes perhaps??

Doggarts closed because people kept showing their arses in the window, much like Binns in town:lol::lol:

This is a lost art along with letting off stinkbombs on buses.When I had a Saturday job in Eldon Square this was a weekly occurrence but it was always worse as the scruffy Mags never bothered wiping their arses.:eek:

Last edited:
First cinema visit I ever had was there in the late 60s as a 5 year old.
Walt Disney's 'Cinderella':oops::oops:.

More of a regular later on at Presidents Cinema where Wilko is now.

One vivid memory of going to the GMD/Wilko pictures was walking up from Co-op street with my cousin through the old Dainty Dinah site to see BMX Bandits. Class fillum as a kid, we used to knock about on that site all the time.

Heres a question for the forum, was anyone from Co-op street, can you remember the old school 2/3 the way up on the left hand side ?
If so, who the fuck was the mental old bloke who used to live in the caravan outside/ also inside the school. That twat tried to kill us loads of times as kids, he would be hung by the balls for the shit he tried on us, angry bastard.

No they're Youngers but there is an older brother Aldo

Never knew that marra, knocked about with Carlo for years when I lived up South Pelaw. Big Bob was a bit of a gangster back in the day, Dom was a few years older than me an knocked around with the "big lads" at the time. How old is/would Aldo be now marra ?

Last edited:
Any SMB'er's in the area? Moved here a little while ago and never thought to ask..

If so, which watering holes do you frequent? Must admit to being a fan of The Butchers Arms and the Cricket Club.
I used to enjoy a few pints in the Butchers Arms, when I used to get up to CLS, around 20 years ago.
Not sure who ran them then,later on it was Eddie Elwood.
All blasts from the past..My mate big John Plumber worked there a while around late 80's.. went to school with John. Town has changed so much,used to know everybody back in the day...used to go in the Barbary coast on match day with Nickas and Nashy from Chester.
Have heard some stories about Eddie, from his time in Hartlepool.
One in particular, down in deepest darkest, Church Street, a local lad called Duane D, (local character and ex boxer) fancied his chances in a straightener with Eddie, so he flies at him, windmilling, but the man mountain, Eddie sparked him, and then picked him up, hoisted him above his head, and hoyed him into the middle of the road, and left him laying battered, in a heap.
Fight over, before it had really started.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back