Chester-le-Street

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lived in Edmondsley and then moved to Lumley when I was 13. Started my beer drinking career in CLS. It was a decent night out in those days (around 1990). Each pub was packed although youncame back stinking of smoke. Now the pubs are dire and the Front Street is even worse. Kebab shops, pawn brokers, charity shops and bookies all the way up.

My old man was head teacher at the junior school for years. There's a lot of history around Middle Chare and towards The Cong Burn and where the bridge used to be by the market place.

Used to be a cracking night out, start at the top and work your way down to the bottom, absolutely dreadful now, only decent boozer left is The Market Tavern

As I've said on a previous thread, born and lived there all me life apart from work taking me away for spells.
Granted the shops aren't what they were but can't complain about facilities, lovely riverside, top class cricket ground, swimming pool, tennis courts, 3g pitches etc.
Pubs are quiet these days compared to the mental nights in the 80's. Saw some sights in those days, with cheap beer in the Osborne club.
As already mentioned, lots of Roman history in Chester, in fact the name means camp by the road.
Produced many a quality footballer too, the Robson lads, John Jay from up the road, Paul Atkinson ex safc, Colin Todd, Norman Hunter.

Norman Hunter is from Eighton Banks.. and went to Birtley East.

Don't forget Grant Leadbitter

North Lodge is a little posh, a mini-Ponteland if you like.

There's the new estates out towards Waldridge and near the riverside, and the very south end before you head on to Durham is not too bad. The Hilda Park area looks okay too.

The odd time I've had a drink in the middle of Chester-le-Street, it's come across as a bit quiet even on a Saturday though it may liven up later. The Butcher's Arms is a cracking real ale pub.

Frequently in the press about hand-happies from there

Tread carefully

Hand Happy - "the cramps you receive inside hand from jacking off to much".

You learn something new everyday.

Norman Hunter is from Eighton Banks.. and went to Birtley East.

Don't forget Grant Leadbitter
He is a right knob

Rickleton

Crocs :cool:
I remember when crocs was the Carousel,used to get top line acts, Mat Munro, Dusty Springfield in the 60's, later on was the Sombrero, then the infamous Togos before Crocs....
Remember seeing many a body get hoyed down those stairs.

Last edited:
As I've said on a previous thread, born and lived there all me life apart from work taking me away for spells.
Granted the shops aren't what they were but can't complain about facilities, lovely riverside, top class cricket ground, swimming pool, tennis courts, 3g pitches etc.
Pubs are quiet these days compared to the mental nights in the 80's. Saw some sights in those days, with cheap beer in the Osborne club.
As already mentioned, lots of Roman history in Chester, in fact the name means camp by the road.
Produced many a quality footballer too, the Robson lads, John Jay from up the road, Paul Atkinson ex safc, Colin Todd, Norman Hunter.

Gateshead lad (Eighton Banks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back