Chest pain/anxiety?

Been getting chest pain for a few year which is was on/off, usually after going out on a heavy drinking session or before going away somewhere (which of course sounds like anxiety). It would usually last 5 or 6 days of pretty much non stop pain then all of a sudden i‘d start to gradually feel better.

I never went to the doctors about it, as I was concerned it would be something serious but it got very bad one day last February so I went to A&E, got numerous blood tests, ECG scan and chest X-ray. They all come back fine and showing nothing was wrong (other than a fast heart rate) and said it could be muscular pain or simply just down to anxiety.

Fast forward almost a year later and the chest pains were still happening at times, not always but it was becoming more of a regular thing and my heart rate always feels fast so thought I need to try and do something about it as I’ve missed out on loads of trips away/trips abroad over the last couple of year due to the worry of taking ill with chest pain when away. So I eventually went to the doctors about it the end of December and he went down the anxiety route and give me Beta blockers for it (propranolol 40mg twice a day). I was quite apprehensive about taking them and didn't want to as I didn’t know how I’d react to them and for a few weeks I didn’t bother but I eventually thought I need to give them a go as nothings going to change if I don’t.

After taking my first one the pain was worse, so I ended up missing a couple of days before giving them a proper go of two a day as recommended. I found they didn’t help at all and the pain got worse and worse so much that I needed a second trip to A&E last month, exactly the same situation as what happened 12 months prior, ECG, bloods, chest xray all come back fine and was told possibly could just be anxiety. So went back to the doctors to follow up on that recent A&E visit and explain since taking the tablets I’ve felt the pain has got worse. He said the tablets can’t be making the pain worse as he gives them to people to treat chest pain, he suggested I continue taking them but also said I can stop at anytime if i feel they aren’t helping and suggested another thing I can do is speak to a mental health team about anxiety (I don’t think I’ve got it and its something different but this is what I’m being told it is). I decided to continue taking the tablets for a couple of weeks but then stopped a week and a half ago as they weren’t helping and I felt like they were making me worse. I’m in pain pretty much constantly with my chest now but I don’t know what the next step is as going to the doctors/hospital I’m being told I’ve got anxiety and nothing serious is wrong and that I should speak to mental health team, which I don’t see helping when I think this is more serious, the only way it could help is to discount the anxiety and see it’s not that causing it.

Long post I know but just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences.

Do you have any other symptoms of anxiety apart from the chest pains, e.g. panic attacks or generally feeling anxious? I think it would be strange for chest pains to be the only symptom (although I'm no doctor).

I've had chest pains caused by anxiety and took propanolol (to help with anxiety, not to help with chest pains). I find propanolol works wonders for stopping panic attacks (it's amazing for public speaking) but it doesn't help with general unpleasant feelings of anxiety, at least in my case. Can't remember if it stopped chest pains specifically or not, but it definitely didn't cut out all the symptoms.

Been getting chest pain for a few year which is was on/off, usually after going out on a heavy drinking session or before going away somewhere (which of course sounds like anxiety). It would usually last 5 or 6 days of pretty much non stop pain then all of a sudden i‘d start to gradually feel better.

I never went to the doctors about it, as I was concerned it would be something serious but it got very bad one day last February so I went to A&E, got numerous blood tests, ECG scan and chest X-ray. They all come back fine and showing nothing was wrong (other than a fast heart rate) and said it could be muscular pain or simply just down to anxiety.

Fast forward almost a year later and the chest pains were still happening at times, not always but it was becoming more of a regular thing and my heart rate always feels fast so thought I need to try and do something about it as I’ve missed out on loads of trips away/trips abroad over the last couple of year due to the worry of taking ill with chest pain when away. So I eventually went to the doctors about it the end of December and he went down the anxiety route and give me Beta blockers for it (propranolol 40mg twice a day). I was quite apprehensive about taking them and didn't want to as I didn’t know how I’d react to them and for a few weeks I didn’t bother but I eventually thought I need to give them a go as nothings going to change if I don’t.

After taking my first one the pain was worse, so I ended up missing a couple of days before giving them a proper go of two a day as recommended. I found they didn’t help at all and the pain got worse and worse so much that I needed a second trip to A&E last month, exactly the same situation as what happened 12 months prior, ECG, bloods, chest xray all come back fine and was told possibly could just be anxiety. So went back to the doctors to follow up on that recent A&E visit and explain since taking the tablets I’ve felt the pain has got worse. He said the tablets can’t be making the pain worse as he gives them to people to treat chest pain, he suggested I continue taking them but also said I can stop at anytime if i feel they aren’t helping and suggested another thing I can do is speak to a mental health team about anxiety (I don’t think I’ve got it and its something different but this is what I’m being told it is). I decided to continue taking the tablets for a couple of weeks but then stopped a week and a half ago as they weren’t helping and I felt like they were making me worse. I’m in pain pretty much constantly with my chest now but I don’t know what the next step is as going to the doctors/hospital I’m being told I’ve got anxiety and nothing serious is wrong and that I should speak to mental health team, which I don’t see helping when I think this is more serious, the only way it could help is to discount the anxiety and see it’s not that causing it.

Long post I know but just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences.

I've got psoriatic arthritis and have suffered serious chest pain for months now, I believe I had costochondritis - naturally since I have changed my meds the pain seems to be settling down. Sometimes the pain was so intense it was as if I was having a heart attack, I could barely move or sit up when lying down at its worst. I was the same all bloods, ECG etc fine. Maybe you could also have costochondritis?

Has your GP considered reflux? Would fit with exacerbation with boozing.

It’s worth looking into. I had an episode a few years back when I was getting bad chest pains got hooked up to the ecg, had blood tests etc and they couldn’t find anything and said it was probably acid reflux/GERD.

I do think it was also partly anxiety because the pains do make you think it’s a heart problem which stresses you out and can make the symptoms worth.

I was also subsequently diagnosed with anxiety so it may be a mixture of both.

@forzamilansafc i’d suggest asking if u could have some tests for acid reflux/GERD. It might mean a camera down the throat mind (have the sedative for that by the way!).

It’s worth looking into. I had an episode a few years back when I was getting bad chest pains got hooked up to the ecg, had blood tests etc and they couldn’t find anything and said it was probably acid reflux/GERD.

I do think it was also partly anxiety because the pains do make you think it’s a heart problem which stresses you out and can make the symptoms worth.

I was also subsequently diagnosed with anxiety so it may be a mixture of both.

@forzamilansafc i’d suggest asking if u could have some tests for acid reflux/GERD. It might mean a camera down the throat mind (have the sedative for that by the way!).

Probably wouldn't even need camera stuff. GP might try something like Omeprazole first and see what happens.

Ramble might help..

Get your vitamins and minerals checked.

The booze can stress out your body and reduce some of them. That with bad stomach can be the cause.

You can also flick from physical symptoms to anxiety symptoms and have a similar experience, without noticing.

There is a something called gastocardiac syndrome where your body's main nerve, the vagus nerve, doesn't do its job and calm the heart. Splash cold water on your face when your heart is worrisome and see what it does to your heart rate.

You also need to learn to let go off the attachment of anxiety and heart sensations with a do not give a toss attitude while at the same time eating and sleeping better. The last point is the strongest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some good advice here. First of all it’s great that the ECGs etc came back clear

In 2015 a book called The Body Keeps The Score suggested stress and trauma can physically manifest in the body as pain in the chest and elsewhere. It suggested Yoga and Mindfulness as ways to treat symptoms

Not sure if anyone’s mentioned apps like Headspace etc

Paul McKenna recently put out a new book called Freedom From Anxiety which features some audio techniques downloaded from his website for a possible quick fix

I did years ago and had a hiatus hernia, was extremely painful but because I didn't know what was wrong I was also giving myself bad anxiety and panic attacks which are pretty bad but somewhat mental related.

Anxiety can be weird as well because I everyone has stresses but anxiety sort of builds up and can hit you when your not actually feeling particularly stressed out.

If it's affecting you that much I'd maybes start trying to make some lifestyle changes and see if that helps. If you don't already maybes start with some home exercises, something light and maybes work up to hitting the gym more, look at improving your diet and try and eliminate any stresses you may have (money, relationships, whatever).

You can end up in a pretty bad circle where you end up being anxious about being anxious and that's not a good place. Keep going to the doctor's until you find something that works, that's what you pay your taxes for. Even give the mental health team a blast, I mean even if it's not what you got to lose?

Ramble might help..

Get your vitamins and minerals checked.

The booze can stress out your body and reduce some of them. That with bad stomach can be the cause.

You can also flick from physical symptoms to anxiety symptoms and have a similar experience, without noticing.

There is a something called gastocardiac syndrome where your body's main nerve, the vagus nerve, doesn't do its job and calm the heart. Splash cold water on your face when your heart is worrisome and see what it does to your heart rate.

You also need to learn to let go off the attachment of anxiety and heart sensations with a do not give a toss attitude while at the same time eating and sleeping better. The last point is the strongest.
Anxiety about anxiety is one of the major issues . Anxiety in and of its self is not dangerous , merely unpleasant and to take it further even that unpleasantness is an interpretation. Tension , raised heart rate etc would be interpreted as thrilling if we were on a roller coaster .
The question to ask ones self is why am i so averse to feeling like this ? what do i fear is going to happen ? its typically fear of a heart attack or loss of personal control. In analysis we can tolerate anxiety from now till doomsday if we need to for all it can do .

Last edited:
I did years ago and had a hiatus hernia, was extremely painful but because I didn't know what was wrong I was also giving myself bad anxiety and panic attacks which are pretty bad but somewhat mental related.

Anxiety can be weird as well because I everyone has stresses but anxiety sort of builds up and can hit you when your not actually feeling particularly stressed out.

If it's affecting you that much I'd maybes start trying to make some lifestyle changes and see if that helps. If you don't already maybes start with some home exercises, something light and maybes work up to hitting the gym more, look at improving your diet and try and eliminate any stresses you may have (money, relationships, whatever).

You can end up in a pretty bad circle where you end up being anxious about being anxious and that's not a good place. Keep going to the doctor's until you find something that works, that's what you pay your taxes for. Even give the mental health team a blast, I mean even if it's not what you got to lose?

A take its a stomach hernia ?did you get a op? am due one some time this year on a sliding hiatus hernia am in agony most days

A take its a stomach hernia ?did you get a op? am due one some time this year on a sliding hiatus hernia am in agony most days
Yeah stomach through the diaphragm. I didn't get an op tbh, had to manage pills for about a year ,- lanzoprazol, omeprosol, ezompeprasol until I found a balance that worked.

Changed my diet and exercise regime, over time I dropped the tablets and it rarely bothers me these days.

First year or so was in horrendous pain though, crippled at times. Had to give up alcohol, bread, coffee, chocolate, spicy foods for a while but can eat most again now. Bread still gives me horrendous heart burn and I can't touch caffeine still.

Yeah stomach through the diaphragm. I didn't get an op tbh, had to manage pills for about a year ,- lanzoprazol, omeprosol, ezompeprasol until I found a balance that worked.

Changed my diet and exercise regime, over time I dropped the tablets and it rarely bothers me these days.

First year or so was in horrendous pain though, crippled at times. Had to give up alcohol, bread, coffee, chocolate, spicy foods for a while but can eat most again now. Bread still gives me horrendous heart burn and I can't touch caffeine still.

That's what am like now crippled .on lanzaporle atm but don't seem to be working .I throw up most things .all them foods are trigger symptoms. It hell tbh absolutely sick .I cannot work because of it

Back