Chess

Just started using lichess and playing a fair bit more but am still rubbish. Been watching some YouTube videos by Ben Finegold but does the wise SMB have any tips on being less rubbish?

Ta.

Look up examples of common tactics such as pins, skewers and forks. Try to use them in your game to gain advantage. Play players that are better than you, including higher computer levels. Most important of all practise.

Look up examples of common tactics such as pins, skewers and forks. Try to use them in your game to gain advantage. Play players that are better than you, including higher computer levels. Most important of all practise.
I'm playing every day now, just seems progress is very slow. I get those tactical ideas during the videos then rarely get to apply them. Have neglected playing the computer so that's a good shout

Tactics puzzles, and lots of them. Get solving and remembering the patterns.

Advanced strategy and endgame technique is all very good but 99% of the time, even at the top level, it is tactics that will decide the game.

Just started using lichess and playing a fair bit more but am still rubbish. Been watching some YouTube videos by Ben Finegold but does the wise SMB have any tips on being less rubbish?

Ta.
Just keep playing. You'll get to a stage where you'll be working out tactics and strategies in your sleep.

Ta.
Weirdly I've just started playing chess for the first time since I was a kid. Got an online chess app on me phone. I usually start with a standard move king pawn and knight pawns to get some angles for queen/bishops to roam.

Other than that I struggle aswell marra

Ta.
If it helps at all, my brother in law taught me to play chess when I was about 10 yr old. Took me two years to get good enough to beat him for the first time!

My advise to you is play often and enjoy playing the games rather than banging your head against book after book of openings, chess puzzles or looking up books of chess ideas for young players. They will show you the traps but when you play against better players they will already know them and avoid falling into them.

If you seriously want to push things then record the moves and replay each game move by move to see what you could have done differently. Then start looking at books.

Samurai Chess

I beat some good players after reading that book.
Finally read it as it's a real quick read. I'm not a chess player by any means, so I did find it interesting. It is a book for beginners, though, as I don't think experience players will get much use out of it. And maybe you can beat others who are new to the game or don't play often, but I think some of the tactics are a bit too elementary to beat any seasoned chess players. That's just my opinion.

A good book for beginners, though, for sure.

Finally read it as it's a real quick read. I'm not a chess player by any means, so I did find it interesting. It is a book for beginners, though, as I don't think experience players will get much use out of it. And maybe you can beat others who are new to the game or don't play often, but I think some of the tactics are a bit too elementary to beat any seasoned chess players. That's just my opinion.

I played chess since a boy and got stuck in a rut. Got a beginners book about 10 year ago and it changed my game. I’m quite good now. Not played for a bit like.

I played chess since a boy and got stuck in a rut. Got a beginners book about 10 year ago and it changed my game. I’m quite good now. Not played for a bit like.
I never got into the game. My dad plays all the time. He taught me how to play but we didn't play often because I would prefer to go outside and play basketball with him instead. However, he taught my son and my son loves to play. He and my dad can play for what seems hours on end.

I did send the Samurai Chess book though he is super busy with school at the moment to read it, but I think he will get something out of it. It's a real fun read.

The best thing I took from the book was the way of the Samurai, it was fascinating to use the principle of sacrifice to win a game of chess especially against a worthy opponent. I beat the best chess player I know after reading that book and it felt good.

Back