Chernobyl -sky Atlantic

Discussion in 'SMB' started by hefty em, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Silkyces

Silkyces Full Back

2. Lexingtongue

Lexingtongue Striker

Not in the same building as the ruined one, though. If I remember correctly, there were four operational and a few more nearing completion at the explosion.

3. SAFC 2012

SAFC 2012 Striker

Just watched it there. Class

4. Botchie

Botchie Winger

Still remarkable though considering that type of reactor had been deemed unfit for purpose. I suppose the problem is that they can't just completely cut of the power supply.

Lexingtongue likes this.
  5. Wullhawar

Wullhawar Goalkeeper

Yeah sorry I meant having actual Russians and subtitles would have been better. You’ll see what I mean when you watch it but the bloke in the ‘strategy’ room just made it seem ridiculous

the dude and Sossidge Rerls like this.
  6. Football Dinosaur

Football Dinosaur Central Defender

I disagree it was the "death of stalin" scenes that brought a little comic relief

7. Maxnormal

Maxnormal Midfield

That was fucking grim that. Terrifying.

8. I'm Spartacus

I'm Spartacus Winger

I posted a link earlier about a witness to it all who survived, it would have been better if the bloke playing him spoke Russian instead of Yorkshire or some shit. I still enjoyed it like...

9. hullmackem

hullmackem Striker

Grim stuff, even the mission in Call of Duty was depressingly realistic.

TK-421 and MEEKLANGLEYFTM like this.
  10. The Great MES

The Great MES Winger

What's the name of that actor with squeeky voice and the black curly hair? I've seen him in something before

11. silas80

silas80 Winger

"50,000 people used to live here... now it's a ghost town"

12. Two million voices

Two million voices Central Defender

Wow, that absolutely superb mind. Gripped from start to finish.

This fella?

Con O'Neill - IMDb

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    The Great MES likes this.
  13. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio Midfield

Good watch

14. Roker Mackem

Roker Mackem Striker

Careful... chernobyl fall out

15. Best level ever, but nivver shoot the wild dog :)

silas80 likes this.
  16. Dave Herbal

Dave Herbal Striker

Just watching it. Jesus fucking christ. I’m a scientist but I learnt at school how nuclear reactors work and what can go wrong. Those poor bastards.

17. Kevj

Kevj Striker

We were 7 years old when this happened. I’ve got a kid that age now. Imagine if it had been the worst case scenario and fall out polluted the UK. I’m not belittling the people who were affected by this by any means.

We are but ants on this rock.

Maxnormal likes this.
  18. TravellingMackem

TravellingMackem Full Back

Fallout did get this far, increased background radiation levels around 370%, which has remained constant since

The reactor itself isn’t inherently unsafe. It is the operational mode that it was under during the time of the accident that’s the problem. The supervisor was right to state that you can’t have an explosion in a nuclear core, as this can’t happen unless there is water within the core which would normally be impossible. Except the safety tests that they were running at the time combined with the valve positions caused an increase in core temperature which caused pipe damage which caused a water leak and hence a steam explosion due to the hyper-heating of the water as it entered the core.

The reactor operates under the same principles as all English reactors, only difference is that ours has “computer says no” type blocks to prevent operators accidentally stacking unsafe modes on top of each other. Whereas the Chernobyl reactor has the opportunity to override this and hence can be fully operator driven.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  19. Pants

Pants Winger

I'm no expert like, but when there's a geet wass explosion at the reactor and a magic blue light starts shooting up into the heavens - run like fvck!

20. Bear

Bear Striker

They're doing a series on Middlesbrough next