Chernobyl -sky Atlantic

Ok mate. Just because it was on a tv show & some random punter on a message board has used a laughter icon every single miner who dug under the core did it completely bollock naked. There were various reports of how many were partially clothed if not at all but you know for an absolute fact all of them wore nothing. Did it go down exactly as portrayed in court as well?
12 ways HBO changed the Chernobyl story

You'll be saying it never blew up next.

I think what most people take from it is being educated as to what could have happened - europe would be a far different place than what it is now. Yes, there is some artistic licence (the shows producer says as much - follow him on twitter.), but the fact remains it is still a fantastic programme.

A bit too much artistic licence for me. If something is sold to me as factual I want it to stick to facts. The more artistic licence there is the more you start wondering what is fact & what is artistic licence for the rest of it. Did you realise Emily Watson's character was just created for the show? The scientist Ulana Khomyuk is a fictional character.

The show was well made and well acted though. It was still a decent watch

If you want 100% fact you should watch a documentary or read a book rather than a dramatic retelling tbf.

You'll be saying it never blew up next.

I think what most people take from it is being educated as to what could have happened - europe would be a far different place than what it is now. Yes, there is some artistic licence (the shows producer says as much - follow him on twitter.), but the fact remains it is still a fantastic programme.

Haha. If you check my original post I said it was a good show. However it wasnt entirely clear where the actual facts ended & the artistic licence began.

If you want 100% fact you should watch a documentary or read a book rather than a dramatic retelling tbf.
Fair comment. There are people who are maintaining that the show is 100% fact though.

Last edited:
Finished watching it last night. Its been a very good watch, just imagine being in the shoes of those being told to go through the bowels of the plant to release the valves or up on the roof to clear the debris knowing fine well you're most likely giving yourself a death sentence, but the alternative for refusal probably being the same.

I had a conversation with a mate of mine I see once or twice a year when we were in Glasgow visiting family a few weeks back. He’s a nuclear physicist, he’s worked most of his career in defence for the MoD. I happened to mention that because our eldest was finishing his GCSE’s this month and we’d watched the programme together I was going to take him out to Kiev and get on one of the tours to Chernobyl, that we were both quite excited about it.

His response, without the usual Glaswegian affectations was along the lines of, “Why on earth would you want to do that, seriously, why would you even consider going there and taking your son”. So the story goes, the detection devices they still use out there at the checkpoints were recalibrated to give lower readings. He gave a few instances when colleagues had been there of the security staff taking a particularly lax attitude to radiation measuring as tourists came and went from the area. The whole set-up is a tourist circus and nobody wants to shut it down. Also, there are “safe” walking routes, but immediately off of those safe walking routes, the radiation levels are dangerously high for anything like the time you’re allowed to spend there.

He and some of his colleagues had had input on the construction of the big dome that goes over it and made the point that some of their personal objects like his notebook that he’d taken into the exclusion zone for scribbling notes had remained dangerously radioactive for some time later. So much so that it was disposed of back in Bristol where he’d been working on Trident.

The message was fairly clear, “Don’t go. At least not for another 24000 years”

I had a conversation with a mate of mine I see once or twice a year when we were in Glasgow visiting family a few weeks back. He’s a nuclear physicist, he’s worked most of his career in defence for the MoD. I happened to mention that because our eldest was finishing his GCSE’s this month and we’d watched the programme together I was going to take him out to Kiev and get on one of the tours to Chernobyl, that we were both quite excited about it.

His response, without the usual Glaswegian affectations was along the lines of, “Why on earth would you want to do that, seriously, why would you even consider going there and taking your son”. So the story goes, the detection devices they still use out there at the checkpoints were recalibrated to give lower readings. He gave a few instances when colleagues had been there of the security staff taking a particularly lax attitude to radiation measuring as tourists came and went from the area. The whole set-up is a tourist circus and nobody wants to shut it down. Also, there are “safe” walking routes, but immediately off of those safe walking routes, the radiation levels are dangerously high for anything like the time you’re allowed to spend there.

He and some of his colleagues had had input on the construction of the big dome that goes over it and made the point that some of their personal objects like his notebook that he’d taken into the exclusion zone for scribbling notes had remained dangerously radioactive for some time later. So much so that it was disposed of back in Bristol where he’d been working on Trident.

The tours have been ongoing for a while. Surely this would have been picked up before? There'd be hell on if that was happening

I went with Solo East and the guides all carried detectors. I guess all the tour companies will have safe routes around the place that they follow, so unless you wander off you shouldn't be exposed to anything dangerous.
The guides had many stories of people having clothing confiscated, especially shoes, that gave a high reading when you leave the zone. Maybe it's been tightened up, or like you get anywhere, there's a few rogue security that don't give a shit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that why they put a graphic up at the end saying she was a fictional character?

She isn’t a fictional character as such, just an amalgamation of multiple real characters to prevent confusion for the viewer. Very cleverly done for me

I went with Solo East and the guides all carried detectors. I guess all the tour companies will have safe routes around the place that they follow, so unless you wander off you shouldn't be exposed to anything dangerous.
The guides had many stories of people having clothing confiscated, especially shoes, that gave a high reading when you leave the zone. Maybe it's been tightened up, or like you get anywhere, there's a few rouge security that don't give a shit.

Generally the contamination will be randomly scattered due to the nature of the accident, so whilst most of it will be safe, there’ll be patches you can transfer onto clothing if you stand in the wrong spot. I wouldn’t be too concerned as all of the remaining contamination will be alpha based and so won’t be problematic if not ingested, and as you get screened on leaving then ingestion is highly improbable.

Last edited:

Excellent post. Even if not true this is basic common sense. People avoid 1986/1987 wine for a reason.

The IAEA have said it’s fine. But some bloke on the SMB has a mate so I have just cancelled my holiday

Yeah, in fairness though he’s spent his career working in atomic energy and safety. I can DM you a link to his company profile if you like?

I’ve had a look at the IAEA website too and their job is literally to promote atomic energy. They have a treaty that subordinates the World Health Organisation in being able to publicise radiation risk associated with nuclear accidents, in fact, many people in the industry are calling for that agreement to be ended because they’ve made a habit of dismissing some of the more critical peer reviews into the effect of Chernobyl. The Chernobyl Forum, which you should probably have a look into, is widely accepted as a whitewash by the IAEA.

I asked about the whole it’s no greater than an x-ray line that some of the tourist guides put out on their websites, his response, that may be so, but an X-ray gives 60 seconds of radiation, you’ll be in the exclusion zone for 2-3 hours.

Yeah, in fairness though he’s spent his career working in atomic energy and safety. I can DM you a link to his company profile if you like?

I’ve had a look at the IAEA website too and their job is literally to promote atomic energy. They have a treaty that subordinates the World Health Organisation in being able to publicise radiation risk associated with nuclear accidents, in fact, many people in the industry are calling for that agreement to be ended because they’ve made a habit of dismissing some of the more critical peer reviews into the effect of Chernobyl. The Chernobyl Forum, which you should probably have a look into, is widely accepted as a whitewash by the IAEA.

I asked about the whole it’s no greater than an x-ray line that some of the tourist guides put out on their websites, his response, that may be so, but an X-ray gives 60 seconds of radiation, you’ll be in the exclusion zone for 2-3 hours.
Nah I’m alright

Just watched the first ep last night, stupid idiots. I felt sorry for the fireman especially the one with a red star on his helmet.

Back