Chernobyl -sky Atlantic

The recent Chris Tarrant extreme railways series featured Chernobyl. They showed the dome, (more like a Nissen hut) the fairground and other eerie features of the area. It's amazing that contamination will still be there in thousands of years time and makes you realise just how stupid mankind is.
Guy Martin did a series in Russia and in one episode they went to Chernobyl. He even went inside the building they've built around the reactor if I remember it correctly.

Which one did you book marrow?

I booked with gamma tours and that was fantastic. Was 75 quid but was a 12 hour day, food included (at the workers canteen, not the best) and we stopped at loads of places.

I think the good thing about it is that they try to restrict how many tourists can go in per day so you hardly bump into any other groups which adds to the atmosphere

I booked with gamma tours and that was fantastic. Was 75 quid but was a 12 hour day, food included (at the workers canteen, not the best) and we stopped at loads of places.

I think the good thing about it is that they try to restrict how many tourists can go in per day so you hardly bump into any other groups which adds to the atmosphere

Sounds good mate, may have to reconsider.

Went there on Sunday. Facisinating place to Visit. Never been anywhere that was so quiet and creepy.

Learnt a lot really. It could have been so much worse if it wasn’t for some heroic people. The second blast which they prevented could have wiped out the majority of Europe
How much did it cost to go? I had a little look last week and for two of us it would be around £1000 all in from I found. Did you manage to get it any cheaper?

How much did it cost to go? I had a little look last week and for two of us it would be around £1000 all in from I found. Did you manage to get it any cheaper?

The day trip from Kiev was £150 for two of us. Kiev is dirt cheap as well. We paid £190 for three nights at hotel (which was quite expensive) and about £200 spending money for three nights with a lot of drinks! Cheapest European city I’ve been too

Saw advertised 2-3 night trips to Chernobyl but I think we saw what we wanted in just one day. Plus can’t have alcohol in exclusion zone.

Last edited:
Went there on Sunday. Facisinating place to Visit. Never been anywhere that was so quiet and creepy.

Learnt a lot really. It could have been so much worse if it wasn’t for some heroic people. The second blast which they prevented could have wiped out the majority of Europe

Tell me more mate, I am fascinated. What was the crack with the second expolosion?

Tell me more mate, I am fascinated. What was the crack with the second expolosion?

Don’t quote me on this, just trying to remember the tour guide :lol:

Initially when the firefighters tried to put out the fire, all the water sank underneath the reactor. The reactor was then becoming so hot and unpredictable, it was burning through the concrete between the reactor and the water. If it had got to the water then there would have been a reaction and the explosion was predicted to have been way worse than what actually happened.

So some workers then went through the tunnels and drained all the water underneath the reactor, pretty much knowing what they were exposed to would kill them

Just finished watching The Battle Of Chernobyl there, absolute mental watch. Crazy to think we could have all pretty much been wiped out because of it

The day trip from Kiev was £150 for two of us. Kiev is dirt cheap as well. We paid £190 for three nights at hotel (which was quite expensive) and about £200 spending money for three nights with a lot of drinks! Cheapest European city I’ve been too

Saw advertised 2-3 night trips to Chernobyl but I think we saw what we wanted in just one day. Plus can’t have alcohol in exclusion zone.
Where/who did you go through? Did you just book your flights and just find a hotel when you got there? I seriously want to go for the experience of it but persuading the other half is another matter :D

Where/who did you go through? Did you just book your flights and just find a hotel when you got there? I seriously want to go for the experience of it but persuading the other half is another matter :D

We just did it all separately. Booked the trip on Getyourguide , flights via Ryanair and just booked our hotel on booking.com.

Kiev is a wonderful city. There was plenty to do, we booked a hotel with a sauna and jacuzzi in our own bathroom (which was great when you stumbled in pissed at 2am) and it’s cheap as hell. My Mrs had no idea what Chernobyl even was but she loved it

We just did it all separately. Booked the trip on Getyourguide , flights via Ryanair and just booked our hotel on booking.com.

Kiev is a wonderful city. There was plenty to do, we booked a hotel with a sauna and jacuzzi in our own bathroom (which was great when you stumbled in pissed at 2am) and it’s cheap as hell. My Mrs had no idea what Chernobyl even was but she loved it

Did you go to the war museum? That is superb. Lady of the nation statue is bastard huge aswell

60quid return flights, 120quid for 3 nights digs and 120quid for the chernobyl trip - that was for 2 of us

Cheers lads, been a great help. I’m gonna have another look later tonight and see what I can arrange :cool:

Where did you’d fly from? London?

Nah we didn’t go in any museums. Just spent the time between visiting the churches / monasteries and The pubs. Already said that we want to go back

You walk along through a tunnel by the lady of the nation statue, soldiers chiseled on the walls and loud soviet music is blasting - class

Back