Chernobyl -sky Atlantic

Cheers. Listened to the first episode yesterday, some good behind the scenes info and the decision not to use Russian accents etc.
I listened to a bit of one but was all about decisions behind the show. Do they actually discuss the history of the event and stuff? If they do I'll listen to more.

I listened to a bit of one but was all about decisions behind the show. Do they actually discuss the history of the event and stuff? If they do I'll listen to more.
A little, he was highlighting what really happened and what was embellished, like no-one knows the time Legasov actually committed suicide. Also explained some of things he wanted to add to the story but didn't have time, like one of the residents of Pripyat who went up to sunbath on the apartment roof, the morning after the explosion and obviously became very sick.

A little, he was highlighting what really happened and what was embellished, like no-one knows the time Legasov actually committed suicide. Also explained some of things he wanted to add to the story but didn't have time, like one of the residents of Pripyat who went up to sunbath on the apartment roof, the morning after the explosion and obviously became very sick.
To be fair, those sound like bloody tiny details to be quibbling over. :lol:

Aye, watched the third last night. Bloody Hell.
Harris and Skarsgard are tremendous.

And the miners are something else.:cool:

"They work in the darkness all their lives. They see everything".

Proper quote:

"Have you ever spent time with miners?"
"No."
"My advice: tell the truth. These men work in the dark. They see everything."

I f***ing loved that line. And as I say, the miners were just tremendous.

Christ on a bike episode 3 was heavy viewing, the coal squad were class!.......still haven't learnt my lesson and keep watching before kip though.....:D

:lol:

They were like something out of Tolkien. :lol:

Last edited:
Bloody hell! That was a really grim episode, scenes with the radiation burns hard to watch, wanted to fast forward but I couldn’t had to keep watching, harrowing stuff.

The miners, bloody hell balls of steel those guys, couldn’t help laughing walking around naked and when asked “we’ve still got the hats on!”

I can still remember when this happened was only 15 at the time, can remember watching it all on the news but at the time there wasn’t much information coming out. I can remember being at school it was about four days after Chernobyl, a science teacher had a Geiger counter running near a open window, it was pissimg down, another lad walked in soaked and the Geiger counter started to increase a bit..... probably wasn’t something to worry about but it’s tbose little thing I still think about during that time.

Whilst the Russians were very guarded in how they dealt with this, I did wonder if other nations would have managed to resolve with the problems simply based on the way the had less regard for their own citizens than say Western cultures based on the sheer scale of human sacrifice and the level of understanding by those at ground zero.
WW2 attitude: sacrifice for the motherland is paramount.

Was recommended a book about it so downloaded the audio book for when I'm at work. 7hrs in to 14hrs and I'm only up to the helicopter dumping stuff on the reactor.
Book basically explains the before during and after. It's fantastic so far like.
https://www.amazon.com/Midnight-Chernobyl-Greatest-Nuclear-Disaster-ebook/dp/B07GNV7PNH

Cheers, gonna check this out after the TV series finishes. Been a fantastic watch so far, the only thing is it being in English is taking me out of it a little bit.

My folks used to host Chernobyl Kids as part of the relief programme - there are still many of them suffering the after affects to varying degrees. If you were to take any positives from what happened, maybe it helped end the Cold War and open up eastern Europe. Some of the kids that first visited us as sickly pre-teenagers are now in their twenties and thirties and have flourished.

Just watched first two episodes.
So no one at the plant new what had happened it took over 24 hours to work it out?
Unbelievable
They did know, but the superiors were in complete denial because they didn't want to embarrass themselves to the rest of the world and 'we're the great nation of Russia these things don't happen'. When in fact they happened an awful lot before Chernobyl.

It’s absolutely brilliant this

I do wish they would attempt Russian accents at least mind :lol:
I don't mind that they don't have Russian accents but I'd prefer a generic English accent. The clashes of the regional accents are quite jarring and spoils the immersion for me. Trevor from EastEnders in one scene then Finchy in another just doesn't work for me. It was fine in death of Stalin because that added to the farce.

English accents don't bother me, have been immersed in it and don't notice now. Russian accents would have spoiled it - just as Russian's wouldn't be speaking english with various regional dialects, they wouldn't be speaking english full stop.

English accents don't bother me, have been immersed in it and don't notice now. Russian accents would have spoiled it - just as Russian's wouldn't be speaking english with various regional dialects, they wouldn't be speaking english full stop.

I think that's right. You either have Russians with subtitles or English accents from various places. Mostly, the accent is the actor's accent anyway.

That aside, it's both bleak and compulsive viewing.

Back