Checked ya pension pot lately?

Lad I work with got a phone call from his financial advisor on Friday and told him to postpone his retirement date for a while..his final salary pot was roughly £500,000..he’s down nearly £170,000 since this virus carry on.

Lad I work with got a phone call from his financial advisor on Friday and told him to postpone his retirement date for a while..his final salary pot was roughly £500,000..he’s down nearly £170,000 since this virus carry on.
There's 2 ways of looking at that.

Yeah deffo a step into the unknown but then again so was Brexit and UK markets reacted the opposite way to what everyone thought due to the collapse of the pound. This meant it was cheaper to trade with Britain as the weaker pound reduced the cost of exports.

One thing the recent collapse has highlighted for me is the importance of diversification within investments. Those with those god awful FTSE trackers will be feeling the pain right now. Diversifying reduces risk at time’s like these and anyone with a FTSE tracker should really be looking to diversify across markets and asset classes.

Is now (and the near future) not a good time to invest in a FTSE tracker then? I was gonna start piling in from this months payday. Along with investing in my employer, which is a FTSE 100 company that is down over 50% in the last year, but should bounce back in the medium term.

First time dipping my toe in (outside of company sharesave schemes).

Is now (and the near future) not a good time to invest in a FTSE tracker then? I was gonna start piling in from this months payday. Along with investing in my employer, which is a FTSE 100 company that is down over 50% in the last year, but should bounce back in the medium term.

Doesn't have to be a FTSE one. It's generally recommended that a global one is better as then stuff like brexit has less of an impact.

Vanguards LS80 is one of the main suggestions for beginners (whilst others arent keen as it's a bit too muck UK heavy)

Nobody knows fur sure, depends if short or long term investment and if think more falls await or if it has bottomed out

Last edited:

I’d invest in a really good DFM so you are not tied to one market. They’ll invested in a range of funds in a range of markets and asset classes. Diversification is the key. FTSE has lagged behind most other markets for years now.
Doesn't have to be a FTSE one. It's generally recommended that a global one is better as then stuff like brexit has less of an impact.

Vanguards LS80 is one of the main suggestions for beginners (whilst others arent keen as it's a bit too muck UK heavy)

Vanguard are cheap but their funds tend to have high volatility factors so their investors will have suffered over the last couple of weeks. Having said that they are still an excellent fund manager with some exceptional performance figures until the downturn. Others like Royal London however offer really cheap funds but they have performed very poorly compared to what you can get elsewhere. Royal London Funds and PruFund are the option used by a lot of lazy IFA’s cos they are an easy sell. There’s so much better out there for investors.
Nows the time the investors are going to need their financial advisers - for reassurance predominantly. If your adviser is charging you more than the fund managers run for the hills. Always look for value and make sure you are getting it.

Wow. His adviser is a bit of a ball bag then.
Maybe postpone withdrawing tax free cash unless it’s essential but delay your retirement? Hmmmmm.
I’d invest in a really good DFM so you are not tied to one market. They’ll invested in a range of funds in a range of markets and asset classes. Diversification is the key. FTSE has lagged behind most other markets for years now.

Vanguard are cheap but their funds tend to have high volatility factors so their investors will have suffered over the last couple of weeks. Having said that they are still an excellent fund manager with some exceptional performance figures until the downturn. Others like Royal London however offer really cheap funds but they have performed very poorly compared to what you can get elsewhere. Royal London Funds and PruFund are the option used by a lot of lazy IFA’s cos they are an easy sell. There’s so much better out there for investors.
Nows the time the investors are going to need their financial advisers - for reassurance predominantly. If your adviser is charging you more than the fund managers run for the hills. Always look for value and make sure you are getting it.

Wow. His adviser is a bit of a ball bag then.
Maybe postpone withdrawing tax free cash unless it’s essential but delay your retirement? Hmmmmm.

Obviously I don’t know the full ins and out like but seems a bit extreme if the client has a retirement goal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dinnar what that stupid response is for. I self directed my 401k to invest in property rather than the stock market. Now I am fund flips, and holding property for rental. Hoping in the next 5 years to buy a 20 unit condo building and retire.
"Reached out", man! Have some self-respect. :lol: :lol:
Going by the user name, i'd guess he was a yank therefore allowable (only just)
He's from Sunderland originally (I think) so no excuse. Especially following it up with "self directed". :lol:

Last edited:
I’m in drawdown and my Pot has lost £95k since it’s peak at the end of January.
It had gained £70k in 2.5yrs mind, £30k of that since the Election in December!
Not too worried as it’s a long term 20/25yr investment and history shows it should recover in time. Only immediate concern is when will it “bottom”.
Do you mean you are drawing down already and if so have you stopped drawing down for the time being to try and protect your pot?

Back