Charlton the next Bury ?

Are you still in a transfer embargo? I notice you signed up jonny williams again?
Yes we are , a couple of players had options in their contracts of a 1 year extension which they have taken up rather than the club getting them to sign. Last season the transfer embargo allowed us to sign players but not to increase the playing budget. It has now been tightened and I think we will only be signing free agents.

Yes we are , a couple of players had options in their contracts of a 1 year extension which they have taken up rather than the club getting them to sign. Last season the transfer embargo allowed us to sign players but not to increase the playing budget. It has now been tightened and I think we will only be signing free agents.

I wouldn't worry about that, I doubt we'll be signing anyone for fees

Just shows the mentality of some of here. Because they beat us twice people want them to go out of business even though we have never had no bother off their fans etc over the years
It is a disgrace.

Charlton is a lot like us: a grand old club beloved of its local community who have fallen on hard times.

If you give even a modicum of a shit about the game, its history and traditions, you have to hope that the club and its supporters find a way through this.

It seems far too easy for our football clubs to fall into the wrong hands.

Last edited:
That'll not have as big an impact on you as it would have last year. There'll be Plenty of teams with nowt to spend. Getting the good free agents is another matter

Just shows the mentality of some of here. Because they beat us twice people want them to go out of business even though we have never had no bother off their fans etc over the years

how do you know that some people on here had no bother with their fans?
I don’t want them to go bust but my group had a few interesting moments after the last game. Do I blame every Charlton fan, of course not but hey, that’s not my problem I’ll just see what happens on Netflix

I'd still back you to finish above us unfortunately.

No the former Sheff W and Cardiff manager. This long article explains the whole latest situation well
What a horror show. Particularly when the £50m freehold on the stadium and people "associated with Bury last summer" are thrown into that mix.

@NickAddicks : what do you realistically consider to be the best outcome you can get from this ?

Tell your owners to get in touch with the chancers and we'll pay you to take Grigg etc.

Can we not petition the EFL to investigate the chancers funds?

What a horror show. Particularly when the £50m freehold on the stadium and people "associated with Bury last summer" are thrown into that mix.

@NickAddicks : what do you realistically consider to be the best outcome you can get from this ?
A high percentage of the fan base are hoping for admin , it will mean the 12 point penalty but there are genuine people out there that would buy the club at a realistic price of around £20 million which would need to include The Valley and training ground. The big problem is the owner of these values them at £50 million based on housing development value , Roland Duchatelet. He has no interest in the club so the future is uncertain. One bit of good news was today the club terminated Chris Farnell IPS Law employment as club solicitor , so Jones won't be coming in and probably the guy Elliott. A small victory. With these situations the crooks seem to make it as complicated as possible to follow what is going on , it does my head in just trying to keep up with it , it changes by the day. The owner now appears to be the fake sheik who bought the club for £1 with a commitment to buy the whole chebang for £50 million within the next 5 years. No serious buyer will agree to that , so a long road ahead. Personally I think admin might be the best outcome , it will get rid of this ESI group and we can start again , like Bolton.

I wouldn't worry about that, I doubt we'll be signing anyone for fees

I don’t think many clubs will be.
Promotion will have a lot to do with the quality of loan signings.
It is a disgrace.

Charlton is a lot like us: a grand old club beloved of its local community who have fallen on hard times.

If you give even a modicum of a shit about the game, its history and traditions, you have to hope that the club and its supporters find a way through this.

Superb post and spot on.

Last edited:
Our embargo has been relaxed slightly since Farnell has been given the boot, seems the EFL really don't like him. Still we can't make signings without their approval and rumours are it's a player sale that's funding it. Also doesn't change the ownership situation, if this lot don't sell soon then it's in the hands of the EFL as to whether we're kicked out or not.

It is a disgrace.

We could easily be next

Back