Charlton play off game on sky sports football

Must say that both Gray and Mendonca spoke very well about the events of that day.

I also agree that it was perhaps a blessing in disguise that we lost that day as, the following season was brilliant (certainly in the top 5 for this 60 rear old).

Remember reading an interview with Quinn a few years back and he was on about the Charlton game. Said that as much as the players were devastated after the game they realised even in that moment that if the club kept the bulk of that side together we'd absolutely dominate the league the following year, thought that spoke volumes about the team spirit and the mental strength of the players we had at that time.

Best time ever supporting the lads! My last posting, Sqn based in Chelsea, worked in Whitehall, lived north London, had season tkt and got to every London game as mates or colleagues supported a London team. Guaranteed tkts and cheap ale as they took us to local clubs. Happy days!

Speaking of atmosphere, how's the feeling amongst Charlton fans building up to the game. Enjoy the game and have a great day out or make the atmosphere poison and antagonistic, screaming scum and northern c_unts into the faces of women and children. I assume the former but I was shocked at what a bunch of utter twats the majority of the Pompey fans were.
Definitely the former , we are one of about 8 clubs that haven't been to the new Wembley so are excited about it. Quietly confident but not overly , we certainly weren't impressive against Donny.

Definitely the former , we are one of about 8 clubs that haven't been to the new Wembley so are excited about it. Quietly confident but not overly , we certainly weren't impressive against Donny.

Hopefully it's a cracking game of football and both sets of fans treat each other with mutual respect and enjoy the occasion. I've given the game a swerve after 6 straight defeats at Wembley, I thought we'd finally turned the corner after wiping the floor with Pompey in the first half of the chekatrade final, but no it still wasn't to be. I've got no idea what to expect on Sunday we ground out a result to get to the final but our form was poor during the run in, we do however have some experience in the team and a couple of potential match winners, too close to call.

I've often wondered about this. We were amazing the year after but what would the premier league have been like if we still had johnstone and bridges? Clark too potentially. We'd already signed Sorensen by some reports but bould still had a year left at arsenal. All sorts could have happened
THIS. I'd have loved to seen a team with Clarke and magic have a crack at the big league. We'd have strengthened the defence anyway . We'd almost certainly been in same position a year earlier and with better players .

Once Curbs took West Ham to court ( and won his case ) he was virtually black balled by other clubs because he had taken West Ham to court. Also he thought his record deserved a Premiership job and turned down a couple of championship opportunities. As time goes on if you don't get back on the carousel quickly you've deemed to have been out of the game too long. Shame as we were a marriage made in heaven , we were relegated straight back after 1998 but the club stuck by him and went back up as champions.

What happened to Mendonca in the years after the final?

Is it a replay of the full match? I’d record it if so.

I watched the 11 min highlights after the pompy game but couldn’t get past the pens.

What happened to Mendonca in the years after the final?
He did well in the first season in the prem but then got a persistent hip injury which forced him to retire early. He wasn't the quickest but his hatrick that day showed what he could do , a very clever player and for £700,000 the best signing we ever made

Back